Feb 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Though the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman don't appear to have made any substantial advances toward a long-term extension, general manager Mike Rizzo indicated this morning he still believes a deal can get done.
"We're working extremely hard at it, and both teams want something and are working at it," Rizzo said. "So yeah, I'm hopeful."
Brodie Van Wagenen, Zimmerman's agent, arrived in Viera yesterday and intends to meet with Rizzo while in town to pick up negotiations on a long-term contract that has been in the works since last spring. Though Zimmerman's current deal runs through next season, the third baseman has said he won't negotiate once camp officially opens for position players Saturday, potentially pushing back any more talks until next winter.
Zimmerman's rationale for ending negotiations before the start of camp: He doesn't want this saga to become a distraction and take away from either his or his teammates' preparation for the season.
"I don't think it will be a distraction either way, I really don't. Because we won't allow it to be," Rizzo said. "We've got a player here who wantsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees