Feb 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Though the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman don't appear to have made any substantial advances toward a long-term extension, general manager Mike Rizzo indicated this morning he still believes a deal can get done.
"We're working extremely hard at it, and both teams want something and are working at it," Rizzo said. "So yeah, I'm hopeful."
Brodie Van Wagenen, Zimmerman's agent, arrived in Viera yesterday and intends to meet with Rizzo while in town to pick up negotiations on a long-term contract that has been in the works since last spring. Though Zimmerman's current deal runs through next season, the third baseman has said he won't negotiate once camp officially opens for position players Saturday, potentially pushing back any more talks until next winter.
Zimmerman's rationale for ending negotiations before the start of camp: He doesn't want this saga to become a distraction and take away from either his or his teammates' preparation for the season.
"I don't think it will be a distraction either way, I really don't. Because we won't allow it to be," Rizzo said. "We've got a player here who wantsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff