Feb 23, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — We're four full days into spring training and already it's clear much of the storyline around this camp is focused on two of the biggest names on the Nationals' roster: Ryan Zimmerman and Bryce Harper.
Zimmerman, as surely you know by now, is hoping to sign a long-term contract extension with the club, preferably before the first full-squad workout on Saturday. Agent Brodie Van Wagenen is in town and is expected to pick up negotiations with GM Mike Rizzo while here.
And Harper, of course, is always the center of attention, even more so this spring because of his hopes of making the Opening Day roster at 19. We've outlined all the reasons why that still seems unlikely, but I will say this: Harper, in the very early stages of this camp, sure looks like he belongs. Members of the coaching staff notice it, too; manager Davey Johnson joked yesterday that his coaches are having a tough time not raving about Harper in his presence, knowing all too well it will only add fuel to the argument for bringing him north with the club.
I discussed both Zimmerman and Harper last night during a segment on CSN's SportsNet Central (check out the above video). And CSN's Kelli Johnson sat down with Harper yesterday for a one-on-one interviewRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats to interview former manager of year for open job
- Report: Former Nats player to interview for open manager job
- Mets, Cubs aim to clinch NLCS berths as playoffs continue
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'