Feb 23, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — We're four full days into spring training and already it's clear much of the storyline around this camp is focused on two of the biggest names on the Nationals' roster: Ryan Zimmerman and Bryce Harper.
Zimmerman, as surely you know by now, is hoping to sign a long-term contract extension with the club, preferably before the first full-squad workout on Saturday. Agent Brodie Van Wagenen is in town and is expected to pick up negotiations with GM Mike Rizzo while here.
And Harper, of course, is always the center of attention, even more so this spring because of his hopes of making the Opening Day roster at 19. We've outlined all the reasons why that still seems unlikely, but I will say this: Harper, in the very early stages of this camp, sure looks like he belongs. Members of the coaching staff notice it, too; manager Davey Johnson joked yesterday that his coaches are having a tough time not raving about Harper in his presence, knowing all too well it will only add fuel to the argument for bringing him north with the club.
I discussed both Zimmerman and Harper last night during a segment on CSN's SportsNet Central (check out the above video). And CSN's Kelli Johnson sat down with Harper yesterday for a one-on-one interviewRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels