Feb 23, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Negotiations between the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman have progressed, and though a deal has not been completed yet, the two sides are moving closer to a long-term extension that would keep the third baseman in Washington for years to come, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
Brodie Van Wagenen, Zimmerman's agent, and Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo met this afternoon in Viera, though they left the meeting without a deal in place. Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline to work something out; after that, he says he won't negotiate until after the season.
"As far as I know, there are no new negotiations going on, but Brodie's been down here," Zimmerman told Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson this evening. "They've been talking a little bit. We still have a couple days, but like you said, I'd love to play here the rest of my careerRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly