Feb 23, 2012, 11:59 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Negotiations between the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman have progressed, and though a deal has not been completed yet, the two sides are moving closer to a long-term extension that would keep the third baseman in Washington for years to come, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
Brodie Van Wagenen, Zimmerman's agent, and Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo met this afternoon in Viera, though they left the meeting without a deal in place. Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline to work something out; after that, he says he won't negotiate until after the season.
"As far as I know, there are no new negotiations going on, but Brodie's been down here," Zimmerman told Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson this evening. "They've been talking a little bit. We still have a couple days, but like you said, I'd love to play here the rest of my careerRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park