Feb 23, 2012, 11:59 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Negotiations between the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman have progressed, and though a deal has not been completed yet, the two sides are moving closer to a long-term extension that would keep the third baseman in Washington for years to come, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
Brodie Van Wagenen, Zimmerman's agent, and Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo met this afternoon in Viera, though they left the meeting without a deal in place. Zimmerman has set a Saturday deadline to work something out; after that, he says he won't negotiate until after the season.
"As far as I know, there are no new negotiations going on, but Brodie's been down here," Zimmerman told Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson this evening. "They've been talking a little bit. We still have a couple days, but like you said, I'd love to play here the rest of my careerRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cingrani has little remorse for hitting Harper
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw