Feb 24, 2012, 11:49 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Braun plead his innocence today at Brewers camp in Phoenix.
VIERA, Fla. — What's the No. 1 deterrent for major league baseball players not to take performance enhancing drugs? The risk of getting caught? Possible suspension? Dangerous side effects to their bodies?
No, it's none of the above. The No. 1 reason most players are scared to take steroids or HGH? Let Ryan Zimmerman explain…
"This is our livelihood," the Nationals third baseman said this morning. "That's the biggest thing that can be put on you that takes away your reputation and everything you've ever worked for. You get that once in your career, you're screwed for the rest of your life. Everyone's always going to remember that."
Which is why Ryan Braun, even in victory over MLB in his drug test arbitration case, will probably never be able to clear his name. Whether or not he actually took steroids or something else that caused hisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back