Feb 24, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson will pitch March 3 against the Astros.
VIERA, Fla. — Newly acquired right-hander Edwin Jackson is tentatively slated to start the Nationals' March 3 Grapefruit League opener against the Astros, manager Davey Johnson said today.
Johnson revealed a couple other rotation slots for the first week of exhibition play, saying left-hander John Lannan will start March 5 against the Mets (with Chien-Ming Wang throwing a simulated game that same day) and Jordan Zimmerman will pitch March 7 against the Cardinals.
That leaves two spots in the rotation (March 4 against the Astros and March 6 against the Braves) still to be announced, with Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez expected to fill those slots in some order.
Johnson said he won't use any of his regulars in the March 2 charity game against Georgetown University.
With more than five starters in camp who need to be stretched out, Johnson plans to have guys "piggyback" off each other. For example,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair