Feb 24, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Brad Lidge was pleased with his throwing session this morning.
VIERA, Fla. — There was a time, earlier in his career, when Brad Lidge would show up for his first bullpen session of spring training, reach back and fire off as many max-effort pitches as his arm could handle.
"I think I had different approaches when I was younger. I tried to come in and build arm strength, the hell with location a lot of times," he said. "But at this point in my career, I know for me it's wise to start with location and then try to tack on the arm strength after that. And I think that's probably true for most people. Sometimes it just takes a few injuries to let you know that's definitely the way to go."
Now injury-free and secure enough to know he's not trying to win a job on the first day of camp, Lidge is putting his smarter approach to work. His bullpen session this morning was perhaps the sharpest one thrown by any member of the Nationals' pitching staff.
Lidge, 35, wasn't lighting up the radar gun — actually, there are no velocity readings at these throwing sessions — but his command wasRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge