Feb 24, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Brad Lidge was pleased with his throwing session this morning.
VIERA, Fla. — There was a time, earlier in his career, when Brad Lidge would show up for his first bullpen session of spring training, reach back and fire off as many max-effort pitches as his arm could handle.
"I think I had different approaches when I was younger. I tried to come in and build arm strength, the hell with location a lot of times," he said. "But at this point in my career, I know for me it's wise to start with location and then try to tack on the arm strength after that. And I think that's probably true for most people. Sometimes it just takes a few injuries to let you know that's definitely the way to go."
Now injury-free and secure enough to know he's not trying to win a job on the first day of camp, Lidge is putting his smarter approach to work. His bullpen session this morning was perhaps the sharpest one thrown by any member of the Nationals' pitching staff.
Lidge, 35, wasn't lighting up the radar gun — actually, there are no velocity readings at these throwing sessions — but his command wasRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'