Feb 24, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Brad Lidge was pleased with his throwing session this morning.
VIERA, Fla. — There was a time, earlier in his career, when Brad Lidge would show up for his first bullpen session of spring training, reach back and fire off as many max-effort pitches as his arm could handle.
"I think I had different approaches when I was younger. I tried to come in and build arm strength, the hell with location a lot of times," he said. "But at this point in my career, I know for me it's wise to start with location and then try to tack on the arm strength after that. And I think that's probably true for most people. Sometimes it just takes a few injuries to let you know that's definitely the way to go."
Now injury-free and secure enough to know he's not trying to win a job on the first day of camp, Lidge is putting his smarter approach to work. His bullpen session this morning was perhaps the sharpest one thrown by any member of the Nationals' pitching staff.
Lidge, 35, wasn't lighting up the radar gun — actually, there are no velocity readings at these throwing sessions — but his command wasRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?