Feb 25, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa turns a double play during today's first full-squad workout.
VIERA, Fla. — Fifty-two healthy players took the fields today outside Space Coast Stadium for the Nationals' first full-squad workout of the spring. They very quickly realized a Davey Johnson-run camp will boast some significant differences from ones run by other managers.
Johnson prefers to keep things moving quickly, and he prefers to keep players together in large groups instead of breaking down into small units. Today's workout, including pre- and post-session conditioning, lasted only two hours. And instead of being spread out over four fields, it was mostly confined to two, with all of the regular position players together in one large gathering.
"It was great," shortstop Ian Desmond said. "I like the way we're doing it this year. We're spending the whole time on one field and everyone gets to, in a way, bond. It's good team-building, because everyone's not running around all over the place. You're not seeing each other in passing. It's not like we're going 150 mph. I think we're kind of being treated like pros."
The first portion of the workout was devoted to defensive fundamentals, and plenty of eyes were on Adam LaRoche. The veteran first baseman, eight months removed from surgery to repair a torn labrum in his leftRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes