Feb 25, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg throws in the bullpen with Davey Johnson watching.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg will make his Grapefruit League debut March 4 against the Astros, taking the mound at Space Coast Stadium for the first time since his rookie camp in 2010.
Matt Purke, the Nationals' third-round pick in last summer's draft, will start that game against the Hoyas, offering the 21-year-old left-hander an opportunity to pitch several innings for perhaps the only time in big-league camp this spring.
Veteran Edwin Jackson will start the March 3 Grapefruit League opener against the Astros in Kissimmee, with Tom Gorzelanny following him out of the bullpen. Strasburg will then take the mound the next afternoon against the same Houston club in Viera, with Ross Detwiler replacingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals