Feb 25, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg throws in the bullpen with Davey Johnson watching.
VIERA, Fla. — Stephen Strasburg will make his Grapefruit League debut March 4 against the Astros, taking the mound at Space Coast Stadium for the first time since his rookie camp in 2010.
Matt Purke, the Nationals' third-round pick in last summer's draft, will start that game against the Hoyas, offering the 21-year-old left-hander an opportunity to pitch several innings for perhaps the only time in big-league camp this spring.
Veteran Edwin Jackson will start the March 3 Grapefruit League opener against the Astros in Kissimmee, with Tom Gorzelanny following him out of the bullpen. Strasburg will then take the mound the next afternoon against the same Houston club in Viera, with Ross Detwiler replacingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats