Feb 26, 2012, 3:55 AM EDT
Associated Press file photo
Ryan Zimmerman and the Nationals agreed to a six-year extension this morning.
Updated at 10:11 a.m.
VIERA, Fla. — After a long Saturday spent overcoming a few remaining obstacles, the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman put the finishing touches this morning on a long-term contract extension that promises to keep the star third baseman in Washington through at least 2019, perhaps 2020, while making him one of the game's highest-paid players.
Zimmerman agreed to the final terms this morning, a source with knowledge of the talks confirmed. The six-year extension (covering the 2014-19 seasons) is worth $100 million, and there's a $24 million club option for $2010. Zimmerman, 27, is already under contract for the next two seasons for $26 million, meaning he's now guaranteed to make $126 million over the next eight years and perhaps $150 million over the next nine years.
The Nationals will hold a news conference this afternoon to formally announce the deal, which ensures Zimmerman will be a member of the organization until he's at least 35 and makes him the second-highest-paid third baseman in history (behind only Alex Rodriguez).
With this contract now finalized, the Nationals know they have locked up the core of their roster for years to come. There are now 11 key players under team control through at least 2015: Jordan Zimmermann,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)