Feb 26, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman works out this morning after agreeing to a six-year extension.
VIERA, Fla. — Surrounded by more than a dozen teammates, his manager, his general manager and his agent, Ryan Zimmerman sat down this afternoon to take questions about his new long-term extension and made it abundantly clear how comforting it is to know he'll be playing in Washington for at least eight more years.
"It's where I want to be," he said. "It's where I've always wanted to be."
The "Face of the Franchise" since he was drafted in June 2005, Zimmerman ensured he will retain that title for quite some time. His six-year, $100 million extension — which kicks in after his current deal expires following the 2013 season — guarantees he'll be wearing a Nationals uniform through at least 2019.
The two sides spent nearly a year negotiating this contract, at times getting close only to have a sticking point prevent it from getting done. A major hurdle, however, was crossed yesterday when the NationalsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang