Feb 27, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson has been popular with players this spring.
Johnson likes to do things a bit differently than his predecessors with this franchise. Most notably, he keeps workouts brief, typically no more than two hours. He encourages camaraderie among his players. He wants them to enjoy themselves.
And he stays out of everyone's way. Yes, he's out there on the field and is engaging with players. But he doesn't hover over everything and demand perfection on every single drill.
As one player put it to me this morning: "He treats us like professionals."
Now, it certainly helps that the Nationals' clubhouse is filled with way more veterans than in any previous year. It's tough for a manager toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
*Through Saturday's early games
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
*Through Friday's games
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer throws 2nd no-hitter of season, shuts out Mets
- Scherzer tries to finish season on high note
- Harper out of nightcap after taking pitch off leg
- Harper homers, as Nats take 1st of doubleheader at Mets
- MLB Power Rankings: Cubs, Pirates set for wild card game
- Williams: "Nobody's spoken to me ... at this point"
- Nats, Mets begin doubleheader in final series
- Matt Williams may be fired, but how much blame for Rizzo?
- Harper, young Nats take subway in New York
- Opener of final series postponed, doubleheader Saturday