Feb 27, 2012, 5:39 AM EDT
Associated Press file photo
Ryan Zimmerman has produced most of the memorable moments in Nationals history.
VIERA, Fla. — There have been 33 nine-figure contracts handed out in baseball history, and far more of them proved disasters than raging successes. Yes, there's the occasional Derek Jeter deal. But there are way more Alfonso Sorianos and Johan Santanas and Barry Zitos.
Sign a $100 million contract and the whole baseball world is going to be watching every move you make, ready to declare your deal a failure at the first sign of trouble. For some, the pressure is simply too much to bear.
And then there's Ryan Zimmerman. We won't know for many years whether his $100 million extension — a deal that could eventually be worth $150 million over nine years — was the right move for the Nationals.
But we do know right now the 27-year-old third baseman isn't worried in the least about handling the pressure that comes with such a hefty paycheck.
"I love pressure, you know that," he said after signing his new deal Sunday. "I don't think people get these kind of contracts that don't wantRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ramos comes through with go-ahead hit against D'Backs
- Ramos' late heroics help Nats top D-Backs, snap losing streak
- Papelbon debuts Ric Flair intro song at Nats Park
- Strasburg feels good after 2nd rehab start
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East