Feb 27, 2012, 12:39 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper faced Drew Storen in live BP this afternoon.
VIERA, Fla. — Oh yeah, today's workout. Despite all the attention lavished upon Ryan Zimmerman and his new contract, there were 51 other players whose highlight of the day was not a formal news conference but a three-hour workout on the back fields behind Space Coast Stadium.
Today marked the first sessions of live batting practice this spring. For the uninitiated, these feature members of the pitching staff throwing what would normally be their bullpen sessions on the actual mound, with a batter at the plate free to swing away.
It's not exactly like a real game situation — there's an "L" screen in front of the mound to protect pitchers from comebackers, and the large cage surrounding the batter's box — but it does provide the closest thing to real one-on-one competition as these guys have seen since last fall.
There was major anticipation heading into today's workout because of the possibility of Stephen Strasburg facing Bryce Harper in the live BP session to end all live BP sessions. Sadly, Harper wound up in the wrongRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon