Feb 28, 2012, 9:30 PM EST
File photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Sammy Solis will need Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament.
Updated at 4:52 p.m.
VIERA, Fla. — Nationals pitching prospect Sammy Solis has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow, an injury that will require season-ending Tommy John surgery, the club officially announced this afternoon.
Solis is scheduled to have the ligament replacement surgery next Tuesday in Los Angeles, general manager Mike Rizzo said this afternoon. Orthopedist Lewis Yocum, who performed the same procedure on Nationals pitchers Jordan Zimmermann in 2009 and Stephen Strasburg in 2010, will operate.
Rated by Baseball America as the organization's sixth-best prospect, Solis had been dealing with elbow issues since November, when he was shut down from pitching in the Arizona Fall League with discomfort. Consultations with both Yocum and Nationals team doctor Wiemi Douoguih produced a difference of opinions; though MRIs showedRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects