Feb 28, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
File photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Sammy Solis will need Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament.
Updated at 4:52 p.m.
VIERA, Fla. — Nationals pitching prospect Sammy Solis has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow, an injury that will require season-ending Tommy John surgery, the club officially announced this afternoon.
Solis is scheduled to have the ligament replacement surgery next Tuesday in Los Angeles, general manager Mike Rizzo said this afternoon. Orthopedist Lewis Yocum, who performed the same procedure on Nationals pitchers Jordan Zimmermann in 2009 and Stephen Strasburg in 2010, will operate.
Rated by Baseball America as the organization's sixth-best prospect, Solis had been dealing with elbow issues since November, when he was shut down from pitching in the Arizona Fall League with discomfort. Consultations with both Yocum and Nationals team doctor Wiemi Douoguih produced a difference of opinions; though MRIs showedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"