Feb 28, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann pitches live batting practice during yesterday's workout.
VIERA, Fla. — For all the attention lavished upon Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Edwin Jackson and Chien-Ming Wang over the winter and so far this spring, there's one projected member of the Nationals rotation who always seems to get lost in the shuffle.
Which is a real shame, because Jordan Zimmermann might very well prove to have the best 2012 of any of them.
Now a full 2 1/2 years removed from Tommy John surgery, Zimmermann is finally free to pitch without any shackles holding him back. The Nationals will monitor him just like they would any young starter, but they fully expect him to approach (if not surpass) 200 innings this season and become a stalwart in one of baseball's best rotations.
"He's very focused," manager Davey Johnson said. "But he's in a good frame of mind. Strong as a bull."
Zimmermann doesn't draw as much attention as his rotation mates in part because of his low-key personality. He's a man of very few words,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats