Feb 29, 2012, 11:58 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Craig Stammen posted an 0.87 ERA in seven big-league appearances last season.
VIERA, Fla. — It's easy to forget now, because of the emergence of Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann and the acquisition of Gio Gonzalez and Edwin Jackson, but Craig Stammen was the Nationals' No. 3 starter only two years ago.
Yep, look it up. On April 8, 2010, Stammen started the Nationals' third game of the season, behind John Lannan and Jason Marquis. He went on to start 19 games that year (third-most on the club behind Livan Hernandez and Lannan) duplicating the number of times he took the mound as a rookie in 2009.
At times, Stammen has been quite effective; he's allowed three earned runs or fewer in 23 of 38 career starts. At times, he's been quite hittable; he failed to go more than five innings in 13 of those 38 starts.
Stammen's inconsistencies, coupled with the arrivals of several starters with loftier pedigrees, forced him to the bullpen last season. But he responded with perhaps his best (and most consistent) performance toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Drew Storen
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC