Werth, LaRoche, Tracy limited in workout

Feb 29, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has been hampered by back spasms the last few days.

VIERA, Fla. — Though they've been fortunate not to suffer any injuries of consequence so far in big-league camp this spring, the Nationals are dealing with several nagging issues that have thinned the ranks at workouts the last few days.

Four players did not participate fully during today's session: outfielder Jayson Werth (back), first baseman Adam LaRoche (ankle), utilityman Chad Tracy (knee) and right-hander Yunesky Maya (flu-like symptoms).

The Nationals consider none of the ailments significant at this point and all were held out more for precautionary reasons than anything, according to manager Davey Johnson, who said he made the decisions to hold them out.

"I would just rather [take one] step back, [then] take two steps forward rather than keep plodding along," Johnson said. "And that was strictlyRead more ยป

1. Tcostant - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM

The Nationals playoff chance just got a lot better:http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/29/report-expanded-playoffs-will-be-a-go-for-2012/89 or 90 wins should be enough for last playoff spot.

2. Rob Wilfong - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I'd rather have Jesus Colome's boil-ridden butt cheek on the roster than Yunesky Maya.

3. Sunderland - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Rob Wilfong makes me laugh, a lot, out loud even. There oughtta be an acronym…

4. Anonymous - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Nice, how scary are $126M back spasms?Zuckerman seems to have a new post rolling out whenever the comments start to get negative (and relaistic) on Desmond's inadequacies, btw. No wodner Mark's been so active lately.

5. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Rob Wilfong, you have to pray harder.

6. Anonymous - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Anybody wishing for Jesus Colome's return must not have been to many games in person. He pitched like he was trying to snare the title 'Human Rain Delay' away from Mike Hargrove. Having seen both of them play in person, I can attest to the fact that there wasn't much difference. We used to time Colome from pitch-to-pitch, there wasn't much else to do.

7. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

You know you're not just a bandwagon newbie fan if you see that picture of Werth and the second thing you think (after "OMG") is "House of David."

8. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

No points if you thought of ZZ Top instead.

9. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

And can I just mention here how much I'm enjoying the non-gatekeeper version here, for as long as it lasts?

10. N. Cognito - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Anonymous said… "We used to time Colome from pitch-to-pitch, there wasn't much else to do."Who the heck brings a calendar to the ballpark?

11. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

12. SFNats - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Only a couple days until ST games start and maybe we can stop worrying about who sat out practice for a hangnail and who missed because of a hangover.

13. Unkyd - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

@3:26: lmao!!! The schedule you describe would resemble "Every hour, on the hour"…. Everybody saying its make or break, for Desi this year, is absolutely right! Even as Lead Desi Booster, I have to admit that. If he's not playing well O&D by ASB, we'll prolly see Lombo. If he's not one of the better SSs in the league, by season's end, it'll be a little the Rendon picture will look a little clearer. The thing is, even if he plays his hiney off, it may just serve to enhance his ultimate trade value. THAT'S how much infield talent we have on the verge, in the next couple of years. After all, Werth, Zim, Stras, Zimnn, Gio, Rendon, Harper… It won't be possible to extend EVERYbody for big $$ 5 years from now… I'm getting high, just thinking about it…..mmmmmm….

14. MicheleS - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM

You know what is really going to stink for us (not for Mrs Z or Brian)? When Mark has to come back to DC next week.

15. Unkyd - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM

To be clear: I absolutely expect My Boy to make it excruciating to let him go!!GoYouFreakingDesiGuy!!!!!

16. James Bjork - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I suspect Mark will "bank" a series of one or two "human interest" pieces to roll out each day he's back in the DC area.

17. N. Cognito - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

"It won't be possible to extend EVERYbody for big $$ 5 years from now…"Desmond is a turnover guy – one of those middle of the roadish talent-wise players that you eventually trade to bring in fresh meat. He's not good enough for a large or long contract extension and not bad enough to simply release. Teams get into trouble by keeping guys like Desmond too long.

18. I. M. Weisenheimer - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

"…boil-ridden butt cheek…"Were you a close friend of Jesus Colome's?I never saw that from where I was sitting.

19. Sunderland - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Headline – "Jim Bowden Is Really Concerned About Jesus Colome's Bum"Link – http://tinyurl.com/8xx5hbp

20. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I never saw that from where I was sitting. The pictures were all over Twitter…

21. Sunderland - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Sec 3, what's the deal with the shuffling avatar picture thingys? I hate to ask to have things explained and force you to make me feel like a moron, but I'll take that risk for both of us.FWIW – I miss the typing monkey.FYI – I killed my logo picture thing in a paranoid attempt to keep Google from controlling my every thought.

22. Anonymous - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Werth, Zim, Stras, Zimnn, Gio, Rendon, Harper…Hague, Kobernus, and Hood are in that "wave" with Rendon.Next wave has Freitas, Taylor, Keyes, and Skole. But with the Solis surgery the pitching situation could get kind of dire. They may have to send Lannan with Maya to Syracuse as veteran depth. Lannan will likely ask to be traded though … hopefully, Bradley Meyers gets returned to the Nats and Rosenbaum replaces Milone in Syracuse.

23. Anonymous - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Hopefully Laroche and Werth are alright, but it seems that every single major injury begins with assurances that it's "just a minor ailment" and/or "we're holding him out of workouts as a precaution; if this was a regular season game he'd be on the field". Patterson, Hill, Laroche (last year), Zimmerman, etc.

24. Anonymous - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Which wave is bringing in Brian Goodwin?

25. Bozo - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Perhaps all that hair has caused Werth to pull a muscle in his back.

26. natsfan1a - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM

fwiw2, I also miss the typing monkey. And I don't think you're paranoid, Sunderland.Sunderland said… Sec 3, what's the deal with the shuffling avatar picture thingys? I hate to ask to have things explained and force you to make me feel like a moron, but I'll take that risk for both of us. FWIW – I miss the typing monkey. FYI – I killed my logo picture thing in a paranoid attempt to keep Google from controlling my every thought. February 29, 2012 4:30 PM

27. natsfan1a - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

In other news, was waiting for my husband to finish at the gym, so I picked up a copy of ESPN (the magazine) that was lying around. Very interesting piece on A's pitcher Brandon McCarthy and sabermetrics.