Mar 1, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Could the MLB playoffs come to Nationals Park as soon as this year?
VIERA, Fla. — Major League Baseball is expected to announce today that its plan to expand the postseason to include 10 total clubs will be implemented this season. Yes, with only one month to go until Opening Day, MLB is just now announcing the formation of an extra wild-card team per league.
Whether you're a fan of the new system or not — full disclosure: I'm not a fan — you do have to acknowledge the Nationals stand to benefit from this change as much as anyone else in the sport.
Why? Because all of a sudden, you can finish third in your division and still make the postseason. And that's a position many expect the Nationals to finish in this year, behind the Phillies and Braves in the NL East.
There's no guarantee the extra wild-card will come out of the NL East, but the division certainly looks strong enough to produce three playoffRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers