Mar 1, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Could the MLB playoffs come to Nationals Park as soon as this year?
VIERA, Fla. — Major League Baseball is expected to announce today that its plan to expand the postseason to include 10 total clubs will be implemented this season. Yes, with only one month to go until Opening Day, MLB is just now announcing the formation of an extra wild-card team per league.
Whether you're a fan of the new system or not — full disclosure: I'm not a fan — you do have to acknowledge the Nationals stand to benefit from this change as much as anyone else in the sport.
Why? Because all of a sudden, you can finish third in your division and still make the postseason. And that's a position many expect the Nationals to finish in this year, behind the Phillies and Braves in the NL East.
There's no guarantee the extra wild-card will come out of the NL East, but the division certainly looks strong enough to produce three playoffRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats