Mar 1, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Could the MLB playoffs come to Nationals Park as soon as this year?
VIERA, Fla. — Major League Baseball is expected to announce today that its plan to expand the postseason to include 10 total clubs will be implemented this season. Yes, with only one month to go until Opening Day, MLB is just now announcing the formation of an extra wild-card team per league.
Whether you're a fan of the new system or not — full disclosure: I'm not a fan — you do have to acknowledge the Nationals stand to benefit from this change as much as anyone else in the sport.
Why? Because all of a sudden, you can finish third in your division and still make the postseason. And that's a position many expect the Nationals to finish in this year, behind the Phillies and Braves in the NL East.
There's no guarantee the extra wild-card will come out of the NL East, but the division certainly looks strong enough to produce three playoffRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?