Mar 1, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper takes batting practice during today's workout.
VIERA, Fla. — Rick Eckstein and Bryce Harper were having a conversation around the batting cage, talking about how to approach certain pitches in certain parts of the strike zone, when Harper brought up a prominent hurler from another NL East club he's sure to face at some point this season and beyond.
Eckstein was stunned Harper already had an intimate understanding of a pitcher he's never faced before.
"He's like: 'This is what he's going to do. And when he does it, this is where it's gonna go,'" the Nationals hitting coach said.
Eckstein could only laugh and respond to his young protege: "I think you're right."
How unusual is it for a 19-year-old with zero major-league experience to have that kind of advanced approach to his craft? Plenty. But as he spends more and more time in big-league camp and shares more andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates