Mar 1, 2012, 7:28 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Purke will start for the Nationals tomorrow against Georgetown.
VIERA, Fla. — Had he remained at TCU for his senior season, Matt Purke might very well have found himself pitching tomorrow against another college ballclub. Purke, though, elected to enter last summer's draft and sign with the Nationals.
So instead of starting tomorrow night for the Horned Frogs against Oklahoma State, the 21-year-old left-hander will start tomorrow afternoon for the Nationals against … Georgetown.
Guess Purke hasn't entirely graduated to the big leagues yet, even though he's in big-league camp this spring.
"I'm just thankful for every opportunity I get out there," he said. "There's a lot of guys who need to get innings, so when I get a chance to go out there, I'm definitely appreciative and try to make the most outRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats believe Ramos can catch 125 games
- Nationals in no rush to acquire left-hander
- Rizzo talks up Espinosa amid trade rumors
- Report: Phillies willing to trade All-Star Dominic Brown
- Long-time Nats nemesis Halladay retires
- La Russa, Cox, Torre elected to Hall of Fame
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance