Mar 2, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
US presswire photo
Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have plenty to evaluate over the next month.
VIERA, Fla. — They've spent nearly two weeks taking batting practice, working on defensive fundamentals, performing baserunning drills and throwing bullpen sessions. Today, though, the Nationals shift into Phase 2 of spring training. Yes, it's time to start playing some actual baseball.
The Grapefruit League doesn't officially commence until tomorrow when the Nationals head to Kissimmee to face the Astros, but today they'll get a tune-up with an exhibition game against Georgetown University.
Manager Davey Johnson won't be throwing his big-name guys to the wolves quite yet; he'll ease them in over the next few days. Today, you'll be seeing almost exclusively backups and recent draft picks, headlined by Bryce Harper, Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
A few more prominent names will make the trip to Kissimmee tomorrow. Johnson's starting lineup: SS Ian Desmond, 2B Danny Espinosa, CF Rick Ankiel, 1B Chad Tracy, DH Jason Michaels, 3B MarkRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles
- Trout talk: How good is he? (VIDEO)