Mar 2, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
US presswire photo
Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have plenty to evaluate over the next month.
VIERA, Fla. — They've spent nearly two weeks taking batting practice, working on defensive fundamentals, performing baserunning drills and throwing bullpen sessions. Today, though, the Nationals shift into Phase 2 of spring training. Yes, it's time to start playing some actual baseball.
The Grapefruit League doesn't officially commence until tomorrow when the Nationals head to Kissimmee to face the Astros, but today they'll get a tune-up with an exhibition game against Georgetown University.
Manager Davey Johnson won't be throwing his big-name guys to the wolves quite yet; he'll ease them in over the next few days. Today, you'll be seeing almost exclusively backups and recent draft picks, headlined by Bryce Harper, Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
A few more prominent names will make the trip to Kissimmee tomorrow. Johnson's starting lineup: SS Ian Desmond, 2B Danny Espinosa, CF Rick Ankiel, 1B Chad Tracy, DH Jason Michaels, 3B MarkRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win