Mar 2, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
US presswire photo
Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have plenty to evaluate over the next month.
VIERA, Fla. — They've spent nearly two weeks taking batting practice, working on defensive fundamentals, performing baserunning drills and throwing bullpen sessions. Today, though, the Nationals shift into Phase 2 of spring training. Yes, it's time to start playing some actual baseball.
The Grapefruit League doesn't officially commence until tomorrow when the Nationals head to Kissimmee to face the Astros, but today they'll get a tune-up with an exhibition game against Georgetown University.
Manager Davey Johnson won't be throwing his big-name guys to the wolves quite yet; he'll ease them in over the next few days. Today, you'll be seeing almost exclusively backups and recent draft picks, headlined by Bryce Harper, Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
A few more prominent names will make the trip to Kissimmee tomorrow. Johnson's starting lineup: SS Ian Desmond, 2B Danny Espinosa, CF Rick Ankiel, 1B Chad Tracy, DH Jason Michaels, 3B MarkRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss