Mar 2, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals came to terms on 2012 contracts with 15 players who have less than three years' service time but were unable to agree on figures with closer Drew Storen and outfielder Roger Bernadina and thus "renewed" both players' contracts.
The process for signing players who have yet to reach arbitration eligibility is fairly simple. The club makes an offer, generally at or near the major-league minimum ($480,000 this season), and the player then has the right to accept or decline it.
However, if the player declines the initial offer, the club is under no obligation to increase it. The team can simply "renew" the contract, setting the players salary unilaterally.
That's what happened with Storen and Bernadina, who citing their experience and/or performance were seeking higher salaries. The Nationals have previously renewed contracts for Ryan Zimmerman and Tyler Clippard.
The 15 players who agreed to terms are: left-handers Ross Detwiler and Atahualpa Severino; right-handers Cole Kimball, Ryan Mattheus, Ryan Perry, Henry Rodriguez and Craig Stammen; catchers Wilson Ramos andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win