Mar 2, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals came to terms on 2012 contracts with 15 players who have less than three years' service time but were unable to agree on figures with closer Drew Storen and outfielder Roger Bernadina and thus "renewed" both players' contracts.
The process for signing players who have yet to reach arbitration eligibility is fairly simple. The club makes an offer, generally at or near the major-league minimum ($480,000 this season), and the player then has the right to accept or decline it.
However, if the player declines the initial offer, the club is under no obligation to increase it. The team can simply "renew" the contract, setting the players salary unilaterally.
That's what happened with Storen and Bernadina, who citing their experience and/or performance were seeking higher salaries. The Nationals have previously renewed contracts for Ryan Zimmerman and Tyler Clippard.
The 15 players who agreed to terms are: left-handers Ross Detwiler and Atahualpa Severino; right-handers Cole Kimball, Ryan Mattheus, Ryan Perry, Henry Rodriguez and Craig Stammen; catchers Wilson Ramos andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals return home for 4-2 over Mets
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff