Mar 2, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Space Coast Stadium hosts the Georgetown Hoyas this afternoon.
VIERA, Fla. — Though the Nationals are sitting nearly all of their regulars, manager Davey Johnson is plenty interested to get a look at the players he'll be putting out there in his exhibition opener against Georgetown. That includes right fielder Bryce Harper, third baseman Anthony Rendon and left-hander Matt Purke (scheduled to throw 2-3 innings).
"This is going to be fun for me," Johnson said, "seeing guys I haven't seen perform before in a game."
This is also going to be fun for the Hoyas baseball club, which gets to enjoy an exhibition against a professional organization before heading to Winter Haven for an eight-game tournament against other Northeast college teams that have to come down here for good baseball weather.
"It's a huge thrill for them," said coach Pete Wilk, whose club is 6-2 so far this season. "I heard my shortstop talking about the infield, how unbelievable it is taking groundballs out here. We walked into the clubhouse and their names are up on their lockers. I mean, we don't get that experience. These guys are getting a big-league experience that they won't forget. They won't forget this."
This game isn't being broadcast anywhere, but you're in luck. I'll be providing updates throughout, so please make sure to check back often as the Nationals take the field for the first time in 2012…
GEORGETOWN HOYAS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 12 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from CF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Xavier Paul
RF Bryce Harper
1B Tyler Moore
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return