Mar 2, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Space Coast Stadium hosts the Georgetown Hoyas this afternoon.
VIERA, Fla. — Though the Nationals are sitting nearly all of their regulars, manager Davey Johnson is plenty interested to get a look at the players he'll be putting out there in his exhibition opener against Georgetown. That includes right fielder Bryce Harper, third baseman Anthony Rendon and left-hander Matt Purke (scheduled to throw 2-3 innings).
"This is going to be fun for me," Johnson said, "seeing guys I haven't seen perform before in a game."
This is also going to be fun for the Hoyas baseball club, which gets to enjoy an exhibition against a professional organization before heading to Winter Haven for an eight-game tournament against other Northeast college teams that have to come down here for good baseball weather.
"It's a huge thrill for them," said coach Pete Wilk, whose club is 6-2 so far this season. "I heard my shortstop talking about the infield, how unbelievable it is taking groundballs out here. We walked into the clubhouse and their names are up on their lockers. I mean, we don't get that experience. These guys are getting a big-league experience that they won't forget. They won't forget this."
This game isn't being broadcast anywhere, but you're in luck. I'll be providing updates throughout, so please make sure to check back often as the Nationals take the field for the first time in 2012…
GEORGETOWN HOYAS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 12 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 10 mph in from CF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Xavier Paul
RF Bryce Harper
1B Tyler Moore
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards