Mar 2, 2012, 11:16 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Purke delivers a pitch in the top of the second inning.
VIERA, Fla. — It had been quite some time since Matt Purke felt quite like this on the mound. Yes, the left-hander was starting to throw the ball well late during the Arizona Fall League season, but he was throwing one inning at a time out of the bullpen.
Purke hadn't gone multiple innings as a starter since last spring at TCU, and at that point there were some questions about the state of his shoulder. So today's spring training debut — three sparkling innings against Georgetown — was as good as it's been for the 21-year-old in nearly a year.
How good? Purke was initially scheduled to throw only two innings, but his pitch count was so low the Nationals sent him back out for the top of the third. He wound up throwing only 32 total pitches in three scoreless innings, 23 of them strikes.
"I was just focused on attacking hitters, throwing strikes and getting offRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?