Mar 3, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper swings and misses at a pitch during today's game against the Astros.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — We already know Bryce Harper has a keen understanding of opposing pitchers and what they try to do when they take the mound. Today, we found out the Nationals' 19-year-old right fielder even knows what to expect from an ex-teammate whose repertoire is as unorthodox as anyone's in the sport.
When Livan Hernandez saw Harper step to the plate in the top of the second this afternoon, the wily vet figured he could fool the headstrong rookie with one of his trademark slow curveballs.
And for a moment, it looked like Livo's thinking was spot-on. Harper took a mighty cut at the slow curve and didn't come close to making contact.
Score one for the old guy? Not necessarily. Harper wasn't surprised by the pitch at all.
"I was actually hoping he'd throw me curveball first pitch," Harper said after the game. "It was just down and I swung right through it. I madeRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres