Mar 3, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper swings and misses at a pitch during today's game against the Astros.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — We already know Bryce Harper has a keen understanding of opposing pitchers and what they try to do when they take the mound. Today, we found out the Nationals' 19-year-old right fielder even knows what to expect from an ex-teammate whose repertoire is as unorthodox as anyone's in the sport.
When Livan Hernandez saw Harper step to the plate in the top of the second this afternoon, the wily vet figured he could fool the headstrong rookie with one of his trademark slow curveballs.
And for a moment, it looked like Livo's thinking was spot-on. Harper took a mighty cut at the slow curve and didn't come close to making contact.
Score one for the old guy? Not necessarily. Harper wasn't surprised by the pitch at all.
"I was actually hoping he'd throw me curveball first pitch," Harper said after the game. "It was just down and I swung right through it. I madeRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair