Mar 3, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper swings and misses at a pitch during today's game against the Astros.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — We already know Bryce Harper has a keen understanding of opposing pitchers and what they try to do when they take the mound. Today, we found out the Nationals' 19-year-old right fielder even knows what to expect from an ex-teammate whose repertoire is as unorthodox as anyone's in the sport.
When Livan Hernandez saw Harper step to the plate in the top of the second this afternoon, the wily vet figured he could fool the headstrong rookie with one of his trademark slow curveballs.
And for a moment, it looked like Livo's thinking was spot-on. Harper took a mighty cut at the slow curve and didn't come close to making contact.
Score one for the old guy? Not necessarily. Harper wasn't surprised by the pitch at all.
"I was actually hoping he'd throw me curveball first pitch," Harper said after the game. "It was just down and I swung right through it. I madeRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig