Livo leaves Nats on good terms

Mar 3, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
New Astro Livan Hernandez allowed three hits, but zero runs, in two innings today.

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — That all-too familiar figure — the baggy uniform, the smooth-as-silk delivery, the gleam in his eye — stood on the mound at Osceola County Stadium this afternoon and reached back to throw his first pitch of the season.

Livan Hernandez was throwing a baseball wearing a big-league uniform. All was right with the world.

Except something was just a bit off. That uniform Hernandez was wearing was missing a curly W. The red tint was a bit off, too. And the word across the jersey read: "Astros."

"It was really weird," manager Davey Johnson said.

Indeed, it was. After spending parts of seven of the last nine seasons pitching for this franchise, Hernandez and the Nationals parted ways over the winter. They made no formal offer to bring the 37-year-oldRead more ยป

1. Doc - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Livo will always be one of my favorite ballplayers, no matter for whom he plays.I remember late in the season when Davey had him go up a lay down a pinch-hit sac bunt. He had another player's bat, some other player's pants, and some guy's batting glove. The bunt, of course, was perfect. He saved the pitcher the formality of tagging him, and reached out and touched his glove.Go and win some games for the Astros Livo!!!

2. Another_Sam - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Thanks, Mark. Good piece on a key part of the history of this club.

3. Anonymous - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

IMO Livo would make a better #5 than Lannan and the stats bear this out. However, he isn't a lefty and there is Detwiler and Wang two pitchers who ought to get a shot first …

4. JaneB - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Such a nice piece, Mark. I also love seeing how many people love Livo. He will always be number one in my book. It really had to be hard for him to be in the other dugout. Mark, realistically, does Livo have what people would look for in a coach? Could he end up coaching pitchers, in some capacity, ever? Let alone with us? I want him to be happy and in baseball for the rest of his life. And mine.

5. JaneB - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Doc, I remember that too! He trash-talked his way down the line, with a huge smile. And he advanced the runner, just like he was supposed to.

6. Jeaner - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Love hearing that Livo wants to be here as a coach – hope it can happen. Every good thing that (we hope) happens from here on out happens with Livo as a huge part of foundation.

7. natsfan1a - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Thanks for the Livo piece, Mark.I, too, have fond memories of that game (I seem to recall it being on the road?). Then there was the time where he was a bit slow heading out of the box and up the line and inadvertently (wink-wink) got in the way of the opposing catcher. Love ya, Livo!

8. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for that Mark Z!I miss Livo. For whatever reason his calm pitching style and demeanor were contagious to me as a fan watching him pitch.Good luck in Houston Livo! Look forward to seeing you back in Washington!

9. sm13 - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I was always great fun to watch Livo pitch, even if the results weren't always perfect. He had that big grin and seemed to be having the most fun of anyone in the ballpark. The shutout he threw last year was a gem.

10. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Mark, realistically, does Livo have what people would look for in a coach? Could he end up coaching pitchers, in some capacity, ever? Let alone with us?JaneB,Livo is in too much hot water financially and legally not to get that 1 million plus a year salary for being a rotation starter. His house in Florida was foreclosed and taken over by the banks. Plus he is being investigated by the Federal authorities. Livo couldn't afford to live on a coach's salary he has been living too high. Hopefully, he curtails his excesses soon of his own good.

11. NatsLady - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Just saw where Bobby Valentine "let his team loose" and they clobbered some college kids 25-0. I'm glad the Nats were more polite to Georgetown.

12. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

NatsLady- Seriously? When was that? Couldn't find any info.Quiet night on the blog tonight. I guess we're the only ones home on a Saturday evening :-)

13. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Anyone watch "The Best 100 Right Now" on MLB network? It was spread over several shows and is a ranking of the best 100 players (hitters and pitchers).The rankings were bizarre, but most of the right players were in it. Just not in the correct order, in my opinion.Anyway, 4 Nats made the list. Guess which Nats made it…

14. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Wang was 50, Werth 44, Gorzelanny 42, and Zimmerman was 85!

15. Big Cat - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Anonymous….how do you know all this supposed personal stuff about Livo?

16. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Just kidding :-)4 Nats made it though I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet.

17. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Oh what the heck. *Spoiler* Strasburg was 98, Morse 95, Gio Gonzalez was 88 (surprised me), and of course Ryan Zimmerman was 22 (WOW)!

18. ChicagoNatsGirl - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I leave for Houston on business tomorrow. I think I will accost strangers to tell them what a gem they are getting. I miss him and hope for the best for him.

19. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Big Cat,I'm not the original poster, but it's been in the public domain, mainly in articles on the Web, even in the last few weeks–enough of them to believe it's true.

20. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Anon(s)- Yeah I've heard the same things, but that was last year and only briefly.If there were truly anything behind the allegations no doubt Nats-hating sites like ESPN would have been all over it last year. Didn't happen though.Doesn't really matter anyway, I don't think.Livo did well for the Nats and actually enjoyed it here. That's all I think Mark and everyone else is saying.

21. baseballswami - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I did read about Livo being investigated for some shady dealings. Those kind of things generally take years and hardly ever amount to anything.I kind of wish we could watch Pudge play somewhere, too – just not against us. I saw the top 100 series of shows – Zim especially ranked quite a bit higher than some very big names. Nice to see the beast get a mention,too.

22. Sunderland - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:46 AM

ChicagoNatsGirl, accost at will, that's what I say. Accost for Bixler's sake as well.

23. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Well, it's not all rumor:Motion filed to garnish Hernandez's wages with Astros

24. NatsLady - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM

CWJ — from MLB.comHuskies Red Sox (ss) NEU 0, BOS 25 Ft. MyersAlso some comments by Valentine. Apparently he wants to blank out every memory of last year.

25. Grandstander - Mar 4, 2012 at 5:11 AM

A Boston team running up the score and acting with a total lack of class? Say it ain't so!

26. Cwj - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Thanks NatsLady.Ugh, that's awful. Way to go Red Sox >:(

27. Gonat - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

It was like a NatsInsider party in Section 113 in Kissimee for the Nats game. There were certainly more Nats fans there than Astros fans!Good to meet Scooter, NatsJack, Bill and Cole plus dozens of others whose names I can't remember from the last 3 days.

28. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

It sure was great meeting everbody yesterday. Looking forward to todays game and the catered sit down with ST season ticket holders and the players and their families afterward.Bundle up because it's going to be breezy and chilly today.I'll be in section 111 today.

29. MicheleS - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Gonat and NatsJackI am so jealous!!!!

30. natsfan1a - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Me, too! At least we get to watch today.

31. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

For those of you unfamiliar with Florida weather, we only have two seasons….. Summer and Not Summer.Yesterday was Summer. Today is Not Summer.

32. Gonat - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Michelle, I think NatsJack and Anon8 talked baseball and Nats for hours. It was good putting names with faces. NatsJack draws a crowd. Funny that our seats were directly in front of him. We missed NatsJack in Viera and glad most of us met him yesterday.

33. FS - Mar 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/03/six_detroit_tigers_make_mlb_ne.htmllink for top 100.some disagreement but otherwise a good list. Morse should be listed higher.

34. Anonymous8 - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Where is Jordan Zimmermann on that list?

35. Sunderland - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

The tope 100 is a fun list to debate. Jeter at #52 is just absurd. The last two seasons his OPS has been .710 and .743. Prior to those seasons his career OPS was .850. He's a shadow of his former self, no chance he belongs in the top 100 today.I'll tell you what will be fun. Looking at that list next year, with Zimmermann joining, Morse and NatGio moving up, and perhaps someone else breaking through.First place I've seen Mike Stanton listed with his proper, and apparently preferred, first name, Giancarlo. I like it.

36. Anonymous - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Motion filed to garnish Hernandez's wages with AstrosMost places they would use parsley for this. But in Houston, cilantro maybe?

37. Sunderland - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM

How many times do you scroll down hoping to see those two special words – Newer Post

38. DWS - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I generally refresh…quite often

39. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Wishes granted. New Post.