Mar 3, 2012, 11:16 PM EST
US Presswire photo
New Astro Livan Hernandez allowed three hits, but zero runs, in two innings today.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — That all-too familiar figure — the baggy uniform, the smooth-as-silk delivery, the gleam in his eye — stood on the mound at Osceola County Stadium this afternoon and reached back to throw his first pitch of the season.
Livan Hernandez was throwing a baseball wearing a big-league uniform. All was right with the world.
Except something was just a bit off. That uniform Hernandez was wearing was missing a curly W. The red tint was a bit off, too. And the word across the jersey read: "Astros."
"It was really weird," manager Davey Johnson said.
Indeed, it was. After spending parts of seven of the last nine seasons pitching for this franchise, Hernandez and the Nationals parted ways over the winter. They made no formal offer to bring the 37-year-oldRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper hangs with Jordan, Jeter, Manning, RG3 & others
- Report: NL West team still talking to Phillies about Hamels
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- 2015 outlook: Miami Marlins
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels