Mar 3, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth tracks down a fly ball during a workout earlier this week.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Jayson Werth will make his spring training game debut tomorrow as expected. The position he'll man for the Nationals' Grapefruit League home opener against the Astros was anything but expected.
Werth will start in center field, the first indication of the year that the veteran could see significant time there during the regular season, especially once top prospect Bryce Harper arrives.
Harper is not in manager Davey Johnson's pre-announced lineup for tomorrow's game (he'll have made back-to-back starts in right field against Georgetown yesterday and the Astros today). But rather than put Werth in his regular right field spot, Johnson will have him start in center, with non-roster invitee Brett Carroll in right.
Johnson wasn't interested this morning in revealing much about his plan for Werth this spring.
"He hasn't moved to center yet," the manager said. "You're getting aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense