Mar 3, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth tracks down a fly ball during a workout earlier this week.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Jayson Werth will make his spring training game debut tomorrow as expected. The position he'll man for the Nationals' Grapefruit League home opener against the Astros was anything but expected.
Werth will start in center field, the first indication of the year that the veteran could see significant time there during the regular season, especially once top prospect Bryce Harper arrives.
Harper is not in manager Davey Johnson's pre-announced lineup for tomorrow's game (he'll have made back-to-back starts in right field against Georgetown yesterday and the Astros today). But rather than put Werth in his regular right field spot, Johnson will have him start in center, with non-roster invitee Brett Carroll in right.
Johnson wasn't interested this morning in revealing much about his plan for Werth this spring.
"He hasn't moved to center yet," the manager said. "You're getting aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule