Mar 3, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth tracks down a fly ball during a workout earlier this week.
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Jayson Werth will make his spring training game debut tomorrow as expected. The position he'll man for the Nationals' Grapefruit League home opener against the Astros was anything but expected.
Werth will start in center field, the first indication of the year that the veteran could see significant time there during the regular season, especially once top prospect Bryce Harper arrives.
Harper is not in manager Davey Johnson's pre-announced lineup for tomorrow's game (he'll have made back-to-back starts in right field against Georgetown yesterday and the Astros today). But rather than put Werth in his regular right field spot, Johnson will have him start in center, with non-roster invitee Brett Carroll in right.
Johnson wasn't interested this morning in revealing much about his plan for Werth this spring.
"He hasn't moved to center yet," the manager said. "You're getting aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge