Mar 4, 2012, 10:36 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg was charged with two runs over 2 2/3 innings.
When Strasburg stepped to the mound at Space Coast Stadium shortly after 1 p.m. today, it marked only the fourth Grapefruit League start of his career. How quickly we forget his first spring with the Nationals (as a rookie in 2010) lasted a mere three outings and nine total innings before he was optioned to Class AA Harrisburg. And, of course, he never pitched in a game last spring while recovering from Tommy John surgery.
So it's hard to fault Strasburg for being something less than his usual spectacular self during his first appearance of 2012.
"Stras was too hyped up, too amped up," manager Davey Johnson said. "You could tell from the first pitch he threw, too. He was loaded forRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly