Mar 4, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse tracks down a fly ball during a workout last week.
VIERA, Fla. — Though Adam LaRoche won't make his first game appearance until Wednesday and will continue to be monitored closely for the next few weeks, the Nationals don't have any plans to give Michael Morse playing time at first base this spring.
Manager Davey Johnson said this morning Morse will remain in left field through the entire camp. Johnson won't use his cleanup man at first base at all.
"No, I will not," Johnson said. "I've got a bunch of guys lined up over there. I've got enough of them over there. I'm probably shorter on outfield candidates than I am people that can play first."
Morse started 82 games at first base last season, most on the roster. But with LaRoche expected to be 100 percent after recovering fromRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle