Mar 5, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Fernando Martinez circles the bases after homering off Tom Gorzelanny.
But some pitching lines are so noteworthy — good or bad — that they need explanation. So it was yesterday with Tom Gorzelanny, who endured through a nightmare of an appearance in the Nationals' 10-2 exhibition loss to the Astros.
Pitching in relief of Stephen Strasburg, Gorzelanny faced 12 Houston batters over two innings. He retired three of them. Seven wound up crossing the plate, all of them earned runs charged to the left-hander.
Oh, there were also a pair of three-run homers, four walks, a hit batter and a wild pitch.
Suffice it to say, this was not a positive outing for the 29-year-old lefty, though manager Davey Johnson took the blame for leaving him outRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"