Mar 5, 2012, 3:11 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper tries to snag Brian Bixler's line drive during yesterday's game.
VIERA, Fla. — As much attention as we all give to Bryce Harper's offensive exploits this spring — hey, did we mention he went 1-for-2 yesterday and is now hitting .400 (2-for-5) in the Grapefruit League? — just as crucial to the 19-year-old's chances of making the Nationals' roster is his defensive progress.
Harper has now appeared in right field three straight days (against Georgetown, twice against the Astros) and he's scheduled to be back out there tonight when the Nationals travel to Port St. Lucie to face the Mets.
So far, he hasn't had very many opportunities to make plays in the field. Nor has he had the opportunity to show off his arm (or, in other cases, show that he knows when it's appropriate not to show off his arm).
Harper's most notable chance to date came late during yesterday's game, when Houston utilityman Brian Bixler (remember him?) struck a ball down the right-field line in the top of the eighth, with the AstrosRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day