Nats vs. Mets – 3/5/12

Mar 5, 2012, 10:17 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Digital Domain Park, spring training home of the Mets.

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Davey Johnson wants no part of any questions right now about the battle for specific roster spots, especially the final spot in his starting rotation. The Nationals manager says it's too early to worry about that kind of stuff.

Well, we'll just have to worry for him, because the competition for the No. 5 starter's job is one of the biggest questions in this camp. Chien-Ming Wang made his first claim for the spot this afternoon when he tossed two strong innings in a minor-league intrasquad game.

Tonight, John Lannan gets a chance to open his case when he faces the Mets. All indications continue to suggest Lannan will be the most likely odd man out when camp closes (provided Wang is healthy and Ross Detwiler is moved to the bullpen) but Johnson gave something of a vote of confidence to the left-hander before tonight's game.

"He led our team in in wins last year," the manager said. "I like him. I think he's only going to get better."

If you're interested in watching tonight's game, MLB Network is scheduled to pick up the Mets' feed from SNY. Charlie and Dave will also have the call on 1500 AM and 1580 AM…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: Digital Domain Park, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 6:10 p.m.
TV: MLB Network (Mets' SNY feed)
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM)
Weather: Clear, 69 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from CF

STARTING LINEUPS
NATIONALS
LF Roger Bernadina
2B Steve Lombardozzi
3B Mark Teahen
1B Chad Tracy

Read more ยป

1. ztown17 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

2. NatsNut - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

agreed, ztown.

3. LoveDaNats - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Wow. Not one starter out there tonight.

4. Sunderland - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Interesting that the Mets pretty much are playing their regular starting lineup, and we have not a single guy in the lineup projected to be an opening day starter.90 minute bus ride I guess.

5. X10D Marketing - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

6. Sunderland - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I (DaveyJ) asked him the other day in the seventh inning: 'Are you tired?' And he said: 'Do you see the girl with the red lips over there?' I mean, he's just got a lot of energy. I remember when I was 19, I never got tired. I can't remember when I was 19, but I get tired now." This sounds way too much like Abraham J. Simpson.

7. Gonat - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Looks like the Mets have their starters in tonight except David Wright.I take it that Davey is sincere about his Lannan comments as I don't think he needs to BS for a trade, right?

8. joemktg - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Is that a vote of confidence akin to a franchise owner giving the coach a vote of confidence? I've read better quotes.Anyone know who else is pitching tonight?

9. Anonymous - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Still no–"he's 100%"–Laroche. I think Rizzo poured another $16 million down the rat hole.

10. Cwj - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yeah this is definitely a B lineup, but that's needed to see what these other guys can do.Just don't be shocked if they fall to 0-3 :-)I'm rooting for Lannan. I think he's underrated by some and personally I would favor him over Wang for the 5 spot.

11. Cwj - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Anon- LaRoche is apparently penciled in for Wednesday.

12. Natsochist - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

@LoveDaNats & Sunderland, either Bernadina or Ankiel is likely to be an OD starter. Could see Morse-Werth-DeRosa, but it's certainly possible that Anklel or Bernie's out there instead….That said, point taken.

13. Anonymous - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Man there must be some "joiners" here as some r complaining already about "our" team. Suck it boys. Have your fun, let the coaches coach, players play and fans ???? Maybe there are some parents hanging around to stir things up. ……and the fun begins!!

14. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM

It's the Mets first game and it's at home.Why wouldn't they play most of their starters? With tommorrow being a day game, they'll start their bench guys.

15. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Is it just me, or did I just totally misunderstand that Harper quote?

16. Cwj - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

The game is definitely on right now on MLB network.Unfortunately, it is the Mets broadcast team.I've always found it a little weird listening to or watching the Nats from the opposing point of view.Not necessarily bad, just weird :-)

17. SweetBlues - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Yay Jesus!!

18. Sunderland - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM

See the girl with the red lips.I remember when I was 19.I can't remember when I was 19.The whole thing made no sense to me.

19. Cwj - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Sec 3- Yeah I didn't get that quote either…

20. joemktg - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Davey channeling his inner Yogi.

21. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I'm trying to keep it clean, but I couldn't help wondering if her name is Millie, and her daddy donated the scoreboard.

22. joemktg - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM

At 19, I'm fairly certain I wasn't focused on the red lips. But I can't remember when I was 19.

23. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

We are getting dangerously close to invoking the Fest, here…

24. Anonymous - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Poor Lannan…

25. Wally - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Not a big fan of Flores blocking the plate in a ST game. That could have been bad.

26. joemktg - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

First week of ST games, Flores: get your damn left leg out of the way.

27. Wally - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Hah. Lannan in mid season form. Walk, SB, 1B (run scores). Hard hit ball but out. DP ends the inning.

28. joemktg - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Oppo boppo

29. MicheleS - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM

ANKIEL!!! Woo hoo.. now there is how you make the roster. Sounds like a lot of Nats fans there

30. Wally - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Nice. Ankiel goes yard to left. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks, after all.

31. Sunderland - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Sounded like a number of Nats fans on hand cheering the Ankiel tater.

32. Cwj - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Ankiel HR, Harper now 3 for 6. Awesome.Wally- One thing I can't stand about Lannan, who I do like, is that for a low strikeout pitcher he walks WAY too many batters. He always has.

33. baseballswami - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Mets coverage on mlb network – ugh. Pulling for Lannan. He's been our guy for a long time. Some nice little hitting here. Hope it keeps up. Going to work now – hope it's on the radio…

34. Cwj - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Swami- According to Mark it looks like the game is on 1500 AM and 1580 AM.

35. Wally - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Cwj – completely agree. The shame of it is that with his GB%, if he cut his BB/9 by 1, he probably is a #3 and all this talk about getting rid of him stops. As is, he is still a good #5, but he is beginning to get expensive for that.

36. Gonat - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Bryce Harper is batting .500 Put him in the Majors….NOW! Just kidding and I am sure some will use this to say he belongs on the Opening Day roster.

37. Wally - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Does anyone know when "my guy" JZimm is going to pitch?

38. Wally - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Hey Gonat – still down in Fla?Harper may have 3 hits, but I didn't think any of them were well hit.

39. Anonymous - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

It's pretty bush league that lannan always gets written off. like davey said, he led the team in wins last year and has been the only consistent pitcher over the last few years for the nationals.agreed, ztown. Then can you please explain how this great reliable pitcher wasn't able to maintain his status of ace of the club? A guy 15-20 years his senior became the **reliable** ace while he was sent to the minors in 2010? And in spite of his ERA which is misleading … he was statistically the worst pitcher 3 years running? ALL OF THE PITCHERS in the first four slots had better years than Lannan over the past. Two managed to do far better after Tommy Johns? The other two pitched well over 200 innings, one three years in a row. That should be Lannan given how everyone here extols him. He should be Mark Buehrle at this point. There should have been no reason for the Nats to pursue that left-handed soft-tosser not with the great John Lannan? Sheesh!

40. fpcsteve - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Did Rizzo pour your money down a rathole? Nope, I didn't think so. Soft tossers are the worst. Like McNally, Glavine, Ford, et. al. The worst. Take it eay. It's ST. Let the manager sort it out.

41. Sunderland - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I gotta say, I'm enjoying how SNY is doing this broadcast, with half the time with the sideline guy in the dugout having good conversation with players. Imagine MASN doing this with Debbi Taylor.

42. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I am still not a Ron Darling Fan (although he was better than Dibble).

43. Gonat - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I just tweeted this, Stammen looks like he added 10 pounds to his lower body from his gluteus maximus to his quads (not that I'm checking the dude's a$$ out)Wondering if he spent a lot of time in the off-season doing squats and leg presses. Whatever he did I wish Ross Detwiler had joined him.

44. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Do we really have to put up with Debbie Taylor for another season? That is depressing.

45. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Gonat.. I will check it out for you… ;-)

46. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Anon 7:34.. no Debbie this year.

47. Henryemo - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Post from LoveBoatSports on the Nationals' Spring Training thus far: http://www.loveboatsports.com/2012/03/nationally-training-has-sprung.html

48. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

So the TV shows 5'6" Danny Herrera trying on Jon "Wookie" Rauch's pants.Oh, and "Legs" Harper runs out another one on a too-casual third baseman! Good job, kid!

49. Grandstander - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Can you believe Harper out ran that routine grounder? I'm beginning to love this kid!

50. Cwj - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Haven't tuned in since 7PM. Mark mentioned that Flores was hit, and then Stammen hit Duda.Any indication that it was retaliation, or just a bad pitch?

51. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

MicheleS said…Gonat.. I will check it out for you… ;-)Michele, while you're at it, check out that woman in the red lipstick sitting behind home plate. I would, but I'm a married man.

52. Gonat - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM

MichelleS, and? LOL

53. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

His booty is definetly bigger, His lower half looks like a hockey/soccer player.

54. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

And isn't a bigger lower half good for pitchers since most of their power is generated in the legs? (ie, like Nolan Ryan)..Also.. he needs to show Ross those moves, Ross looks like a twig in comparison (and he still needs too EAT)

55. Cwj - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I'm DVRing the game and will watch it later, but just based on the 2 innings I saw and his final numbers for the day, Lannan was pretty solid.First pitcher to make it fully through 3 innings.And 43 pitches in 3 innings is pretty efficient.

56. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Hockey players wear pads, right?

57. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Anon 8:02, all that skating makes their thighs huge, but yes they were some padding.

58. JaneB - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

MichelleS…are you THERE? I missed that installment! If so, lucky you!

59. Scott from Burke - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

What a game for Harper…the second hit was amazing..so fast, and with his size? a beast..and i thought the HBP was retaliation…right in the middle of his upper back…batter jogged down to first without a look toward mound and game proceeded with no further incident…very professional all arounlannan labors every inning..a real bullpen killer…and the D must fall asleep behind him

60. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I think that hand is starting to bother Flores. He's airmailed the last 2 throws to second.

61. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

No, not there, just watching at home on a big HD TV. So it's like I am there.

62. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Sec 3.. I don't think that is Flores. I thought that it's Solano now

63. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

OK, now I'm paying more attention to how he's favoring the hand, and he is definitely in pain.

64. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Tyler Moore, slick with the glove..

65. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Really? Uhh, I knew that! I wonder how he hurt HIS hand.

66. Cwj - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Thanks Scott!Man oh man I hope Flores isn't hurt. Didn't the Nats have a pseudo-brawl one spring?Can't remember if it was them or not though.

67. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM

The gas bag John Heyman is at the game tonight (from his twitter account). He has a serious man crush on Harper.

68. JaneB - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Mark what can you tell about Flores' hand?

69. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Can't say as I blame him. Speaking of which, since someone brought up Debbi Taylor, that Mets sideline guy sounds pretty good.

70. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Nice stuff from the SNY guys about Gary Carter.

71. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Indeed, Michele.

72. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Solano's hand seems miraculously healed. Nice throw there.

73. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

McCatty.. "Kid,I hate walks..

74. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Miss Iowa on the mound…

75. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAnd, Miss Iowa sighting!

76. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Sec 3.. you owe me a Diet Dr Pepper

77. baseballswami - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Checking in — so Lannan did his Lannan-like thing, Stammen pitched, who else? Sounds like Harper is showing off the hustle and looking better than the veteran re-treads. Our offense looking any better in person?

78. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Michele, for what? You never reported out the woman with the red lipstick…

79. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Oh, she IS a former Miss Iowa? OK.

80. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Miss Iowa..jinx, and i beat you. Too many Jersey girls back there, so I didn't know which one you were referring too…

81. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

So, did Corey Brown just get a bad jump on that?

82. baseballswami - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Bautista is a met?

83. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Swami.. game day has the stats on Perry and Martin (the pitchers). The offense.. a few too many GDP's with the bases loaded.. we have seen that before. But on the bright side, we are up 3-1

84. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Looks like Papa Mark bailed. No worries… probably needs the nap.Nats scored an unearned run in the top of the 8th, lead 3-1 going into the bottom half. Joaquin now pitching.

85. Sunderland - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I know which one he was referring to. I remember being 19.

86. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM

WALTERS!!!!!! Ian who?

87. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Someone explain to me why Walters is wearing Ryan's #11? Did they really run out of numbers already? Why not give him 99?

88. Cwj - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Swami- Miguel Batista has a minor league deal with the Mets.

89. Navy Nats Fan - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I am not even close to regular season form. I keep seeing and hearing the ball off the bat and expect it to leave the park – and then it's a bloop to shortstop. Maybe it's the grapefruit league cameras?

90. Navy Nats Fan - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM

And by the way, wearing #11 obviously had an amazing effect on Walters' play on Batista's smash grounder that deflected off the mound and took a high hop. He snagged it on a full layout dive, got up and fired a bullet to first. Maybe we could go with 11 and 11a?

91. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

People on cell phones wavy to camera behind homeplate should be immediately escorted from the premises

92. Drew - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Zach Walters flashing some leather. Wow!And I loved how Harper beat out that grounder.No sense of entitlement here folks. The Kid comes to play!GYFNG!

93. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:05 AM

In other news… Brad Peacock got his first loss with the A's…

94. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Is Eury Perez our answer to Speedy McLeadoff/CF?

95. baseballswami - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

MicheleS – thanks – will check the stats. It's always nice to hear the opinions of those with eyeballs on the game, though. Especially the opinions and impressions of NI posters ;) I hate missing games!

96. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Walters flashes some nice reflexes at short in the 8th. One out, no on one, Baxter hit a sharp 3-hopper over the bag at second. Walters had dived for it already, but the ball took a hop and came up–a lot, about 18 inches higher than he seemed to be expecting, but flicked up for it while already horizontal, and came up with plenty of time for the throw. So with that behind him, Joaquin goes 1-2-3 in the 8th, with Miguel Batista back out for the 9th.Walters struck out swinging to lead off. Eury Perez doubled down the line to left, and looked like he was thinking 3 if the left fielder hadn't come up clear and attentive.

97. Section 222 - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Wow, Miguel Batista threw a 2 hit, 5K, 123 pitch, complete game shutout for the Mets against the Reds on the last day of the season last year. Who knew?

98. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Whoa, somebody needs to refresh more often. Sorry, Mark.

99. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Section222 -as I recall, we were kind of busy crushing the Marlins at the time.

100. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Did I hear that right? Jamie Moyer, who is 49 in human years, is in camp looking for a job playing baseball?

101. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:15 AM

We have found our new shortstop.Zack Walters!

102. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM

And the Nats win their first Spring Training game. Nice. :)

103. MicheleS - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Since we won our first game, can we put down the Lannen stinks comments for a few days?Also, when did we win our first ST game last year? Wasn't it like 2 weeks in?

104. MurrayTheRed - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM

MicheleS, agree 100%.

105. Just wonderin' - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:42 AM

So, who were the Mets playing this evening? I caught the last couple of innings of the Mets game and didn't recognize any of the names on either team. I'm guessing it was the Reds given the uniforms. Anyone know?

106. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Lannan stinks.

107. SCNatsFan - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Just nice to see some young talent in camp. Pitchers nibbling today, would like to see them attack hitters more. Still, its a W and got to see it here in SC in hi def, so life is good.

108. natsfan1a - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM

(Disclaimer: I've not yet read the comment thread, so pardon me if any of this has already been cussed and discussed.)Nats win! Maybe it won't be so cranky around here for a day or two. Woohoo! Missed the late innings in real time, so I just finished watching the recording so I could see how the Nats scored the third run. Then I got caught up in the reminiscing about Gary Carter. Nice tribute to him by his former teammates, I thought. In other news, maybe the Mets could go over to their sideline guy a little less frequently? I'd rather see the game than him yakking it up with somebody.

109. Anonymous - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Glad to see Ron Darling is still "master of the obvious". Now we all know what "crickets" refers to when describing the reaction to a joke.

110. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM

That was kinda funny. I was half expecting him to say "For you Little Leaguers watching at home, when you're telling stories to a sideline on-air reporter, remember to use idioms the non-players in the audience will understand."

111. sjm308 - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Got to see R. Martin pitch a scoreless inning. Not thrilled with the walks but he did a nice job with a strike out to end the inning.Realize its a long shot but I need a little something to spice up spring training since our roster is pretty well set. Always nice to get that first win and Harper has done nothing but impress so far.Go Nats!!

112. The Retired Journalist - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Cwj wrote: "I've always found it a little weird listening to or watching the Nats from the opposing point of view."You get used to it when you live outside the immediate DC area; I'm a Floridian now who usually listens to the Nats games on XM and they use the home team's broadcast.

113. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

For Section 3…..Flores got hit on his left hand so even if it had been him trying to air mail throws to CF, it wouldn't be because the hbp.It was Perics new stud catcher, Jhonathan Solano .