Mar 5, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang throws a pitch during today's intrasquad minor-league game.
VIERA, Fla. — Davey Johnson last watched Chien-Ming Wang pitch in a game situation at the Nationals' minor-league complex here in December 2010. Then a special assistant to general manager Mike Rizzo, Johnson didn't like what he saw.
"It was ugly," he said.
Standing near that same field down the road from Space Coast Stadium this afternoon, Johnson again watched Wang face minor leaguers from the Nationals' organization in an intrasquad game. What he saw bore no resemblance to that last encounter.
What he saw was a full healthy pitcher merely preparing for the start of the season.
"What I'm seeing now, I've kind of got him in that [Stephen] Strasburg mode: He's back," Johnson said, referring to another right-hander who has fully recovered from major surgery. "Now it's just giving him asRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A blast and a bloop keep red-hot Nats rolling
- Nats bats come alive late in 6-4 win over Marlins
- Reed Johnson has surgery, could be out a while
- Barrett seizing setup role but watching workload
- Janssen close to big step in rehab from shoulder tendinitis
- Rendon diagnosed with new injury, shut down by Nats doctors
- 'Baseball in the District' - Marlins' voice Glenn Geffner
- The Baseball Show: A turning point last week?
- State of the Nats: An impressive weekend in New York
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets