Mar 6, 2012, 9:54 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Gio Gonzalez tossed three scoreless innings today against the Braves.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — When Gio Gonzalez's first pitch as a member of the Nationals clocked in at 94 mph, eyebrows began to raise. When his final pitch of the first inning registered 95 mph, conspiracy theories suddenly abounded.
Does Gonzalez usually hit 95 mph the first time he takes the mound for spring training?
"No," he said. "I'm always at 105."
The left-hander cracked a wide smile, and why not at the end of a very impressive debut performance in the Nationals' 5-2 exhibition win over the Braves. Over three sparkling innings, Gonzalez allowed just one hit and one walk, striking out two and consistently throwing his fastball around 92-93 mph (his average velocity last season was 92.8 mph).
But about that 95 mph on a fastball to Freddie Freeman to end the bottom of the first…
"I think their guns were juiced a little bit," Gonzalez said. "So I don't know if it was really 95. But my adrenaline was kicking. My arm feltRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win