Mar 6, 2012, 9:54 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Gio Gonzalez tossed three scoreless innings today against the Braves.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — When Gio Gonzalez's first pitch as a member of the Nationals clocked in at 94 mph, eyebrows began to raise. When his final pitch of the first inning registered 95 mph, conspiracy theories suddenly abounded.
Does Gonzalez usually hit 95 mph the first time he takes the mound for spring training?
"No," he said. "I'm always at 105."
The left-hander cracked a wide smile, and why not at the end of a very impressive debut performance in the Nationals' 5-2 exhibition win over the Braves. Over three sparkling innings, Gonzalez allowed just one hit and one walk, striking out two and consistently throwing his fastball around 92-93 mph (his average velocity last season was 92.8 mph).
But about that 95 mph on a fastball to Freddie Freeman to end the bottom of the first…
"I think their guns were juiced a little bit," Gonzalez said. "So I don't know if it was really 95. But my adrenaline was kicking. My arm feltRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals