Mar 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper legs out an infield single in the sixth inning last night.
Teammates and coaches alike have marveled at how hard the 19-year-old plays the game and how he never seems to take his foot off the gas pedal.
Harper was up to it again last night against the Mets, beating out what looked like a routine grounder to third base in the top of the sixth.
"He plays hard," manager Davey Johnson said. "He's a throwback. He plays the game right."
Facing Mets left-hander Danny Herrera — owner of a big, swooping curveball — Harper decided to try an unconventional method for reaching base. Instead of taking a full hack at Herrera's offerings, heRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman delivers latest game-winner for Nats
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Phillies 3 (10)
- Zimmermann likely to avoid DL with biceps strain
- Strasburg faces Hamels in pitching showdown
- Nats have zero All-Stars after Zimmermann replaced
- Harper homers but still battling out of slump
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half