Mar 6, 2012, 3:16 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan allowed one run over three innings tonight.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Even in past seasons when he knew he'd be starting on Opening Day, John Lannan never approached spring training as though his place on the Nationals' roster was secure.
"I've competed for a spot every year, I feel," Lannan said tonight following his three-inning start against the Mets. "I never took a spot for granted. It just drives me to learn something every day and be a better pitcher."
In the first outing of a 2012 camp that sees him facing an uphill battle to retain his rotation spot, Lannan put together a start not that atypical for him. He was neither spectacular nor horrible. In short, he got theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper leaves Nats game after feeling lightheaded
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale