Mar 7, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth is congratulated following his solo homer yesterday.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Two unusual things happened at the plate yesterday during the Nationals' 5-2 win over the Braves: Mark DeRosa homered for the first time in a long time. And Jayson Werth not only homered, he did it on a first-pitch fastball.
Which development was rarer? Tough to say, because neither happened with any regularity last year.
Actually, DeRosa didn't homer once during his abbreviated regular season with the Giants, his surgically repaired wrist still hindering his swing enough to prevent him from hitting for any power. The veteran utilityman's last home run actually came on Feb. 28 in a Cactus League game. His last regular-season homer? Not since April 4, 2010.
So when DeRosa clobbered a fourth-inning pitch from Atlanta lefty Jonny Venters yesterday, the significance of the moment wasn't lost on the 37-year-old. As he was congratulated in the Nationals' dugout, theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss