Mar 7, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats host the Cardinals today at Space Coast Stadium.
It's still early — the Nationals have played only five of 34 total exhibition games this spring — but Ian Desmond's struggles both at the plate and in the field have not gone unnoticed. The third-year shortstop enters today 0-for-9 with three strikeouts and three errors in three games played, and Davey Johnson has a theory for shortstop's struggles.
"He's so driven," the manager said after yesterday's game against the Braves. "A lot like [Danny Espinosa], they're very driven. They try to overachieve. He sometimes, I think, might take his at-bats to the field. Especially down here. You're concentrating on getting your timing. But I thought he swung the bat better today. I'm not that concerned with it right now."
Desmond is back in the lineup today, facing top Cardinals pitching prospect Shelby Miller. He's one of the only regulars starting this game, though Adam LaRoche got at-bats this morning in a minor-league intrasquad game and is now slated to make his Grapefruit League debut Saturday.
I'm no longer with the team down in Florida. Per CSNwashington.com's coverage plan, I've returned home for a little while. I'll head back down there March 20 to cover the final portion of camp. So no in-game updates for the time being, but please continue the discussion as always…
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 20 LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Rick Ankiel
1B Chad Tracy
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury