Mar 8, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez tossed three scoreless innings on Tuesday.
Yes, it's early. And no, they haven't been stretched out for more than three innings yet. But so far, the Nationals' revamped starting rotation has lived up to the top billing it received when camp opened nearly three weeks ago.
With five Grapefruit League games now in the books, every contender for a spot in the Nationals' Opening Day rotation has had a chance to take the mound and make a case for himself. All have succeeded to at least some level, and several have gone above and beyond to impress.
Jordan Zimmermann was the latest to turn in a strong outing yesterday, scattering three hits over three scoreless innings while striking out three. Add Zimmermann's performance to the four others who have started games so far this spring (Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Edwin Jackson and John Lannan) and the Nationals rotation has combined to post a sparkling 1.98 ERA to date.
That doesn't include Chien-Ming Wang, who was sharp himself during a two-inning outing against minor leaguers on Monday and will next startRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent