Mar 10, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
One of the Nats' split squads will face the Tigers today at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Ah, the split-squad game, one of the great rites of spring training. Today the Nationals embark on their first of two split-squad journeys this month. One half of the roster stays back in Viera to face the Mets; the other half heads to Lakeland to meet the Tigers.
A couple of important debuts in the home game: Adam LaRoche is in the lineup and at first base for the first time after dealing with an ankle spring. And Chien-Ming Wang faces a big-league lineup for the first time after tossing two innings against minor leaguers earlier in the week.
As for the road game … John Lannan will face a mighty challenge, going up against most of Detroit's "A" lineup (including Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera). You'll also notice Danny Espinosa is starting at shortstop; Davey Johnson has been planning to give him a couple games over there all along, just to prepare him in case Ian Desmond got hurt at some point.
Both games will be broadcast by the opposition's radio crews, so enjoy an afternoon spent flipping back and forth between the two. And as always, enjoy the ongoing conversation here…
NEW YORK METS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS (ss)
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Mets radio via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 13 out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Mark DeRosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen