Mar 10, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
One of the Nats' split squads will face the Tigers today at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Ah, the split-squad game, one of the great rites of spring training. Today the Nationals embark on their first of two split-squad journeys this month. One half of the roster stays back in Viera to face the Mets; the other half heads to Lakeland to meet the Tigers.
A couple of important debuts in the home game: Adam LaRoche is in the lineup and at first base for the first time after dealing with an ankle spring. And Chien-Ming Wang faces a big-league lineup for the first time after tossing two innings against minor leaguers earlier in the week.
As for the road game … John Lannan will face a mighty challenge, going up against most of Detroit's "A" lineup (including Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera). You'll also notice Danny Espinosa is starting at shortstop; Davey Johnson has been planning to give him a couple games over there all along, just to prepare him in case Ian Desmond got hurt at some point.
Both games will be broadcast by the opposition's radio crews, so enjoy an afternoon spent flipping back and forth between the two. And as always, enjoy the ongoing conversation here…
NEW YORK METS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS (ss)
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Mets radio via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 13 out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Mark DeRosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?