Mar 10, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
One of the Nats' split squads will face the Tigers today at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Ah, the split-squad game, one of the great rites of spring training. Today the Nationals embark on their first of two split-squad journeys this month. One half of the roster stays back in Viera to face the Mets; the other half heads to Lakeland to meet the Tigers.
A couple of important debuts in the home game: Adam LaRoche is in the lineup and at first base for the first time after dealing with an ankle spring. And Chien-Ming Wang faces a big-league lineup for the first time after tossing two innings against minor leaguers earlier in the week.
As for the road game … John Lannan will face a mighty challenge, going up against most of Detroit's "A" lineup (including Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera). You'll also notice Danny Espinosa is starting at shortstop; Davey Johnson has been planning to give him a couple games over there all along, just to prepare him in case Ian Desmond got hurt at some point.
Both games will be broadcast by the opposition's radio crews, so enjoy an afternoon spent flipping back and forth between the two. And as always, enjoy the ongoing conversation here…
NEW YORK METS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS (ss)
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: Mets radio via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 13 out to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Mark DeRosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'