Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Outfielder Brett Carroll is making a push for a spot on the Nationals' bench.
If you're like me, you've spent the last few days pondering over not only spring training box scores but also NCAA Tournament bracket projections. (For your sake, I hope your alma mater made it into the field of 68 and didn't gag away a golden opportunity to go dancing for the first time in school history like mine did.)
Even with the lovable losers from Northwestern on the outside looking in yet again, it's always fun to track the experts' various predictions in the days and hours leading up to Selection Sunday, especially those teams on the bubble.
The same principles can apply to predicting Opening Day rosters. You've got players who are already locks to make it into the field of 25. You've got those who appear in good shape for now but still need to hold serve to ensure they make it. You've got those squarely on the bubble with three weeks to go. And you've got a handful who just miss the cut for now but could play their way back into the mix with a strong finish to the spring.
So let's run through the various categories and see where things stand on March 12…
Locks: Wilson Ramos, Jesus Flores
Bubble: NoneRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'