Mar 12, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Anthony Rendon made a nice impression in his first big-league camp.
The Nationals trimmed nine players off their spring training roster following today's game, including 2011 draft picks Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
Rendon and Purke were optioned to high-Class A Potomac, with infielder Carlos Rivero optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Outfielders Corey Brown and Xavier Paul, infielder Jarrett Hoffpauir, catcher Sandy Leon and right-handers Rafael Martin and Austin Bibens-Dirkx all were reassigned to minor-league camp.
None of the moves were surprises, though Rendon and Purke made nice impressions during their brief stints in big-league camp only nine months after each was drafted out of college.
Rendon, the sixth overall pick in the draft, went 3-for-13 with three doubles and an RBI in eight Grapefruit League games. The former Rice third baseman also saw game action at shortstop and worked with manager Davey Johnson at second base as the organization tries toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Strasburg on mound for July 4th special
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush