Mar 12, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Anthony Rendon made a nice impression in his first big-league camp.
The Nationals trimmed nine players off their spring training roster following today's game, including 2011 draft picks Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
Rendon and Purke were optioned to high-Class A Potomac, with infielder Carlos Rivero optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Outfielders Corey Brown and Xavier Paul, infielder Jarrett Hoffpauir, catcher Sandy Leon and right-handers Rafael Martin and Austin Bibens-Dirkx all were reassigned to minor-league camp.
None of the moves were surprises, though Rendon and Purke made nice impressions during their brief stints in big-league camp only nine months after each was drafted out of college.
Rendon, the sixth overall pick in the draft, went 3-for-13 with three doubles and an RBI in eight Grapefruit League games. The former Rice third baseman also saw game action at shortstop and worked with manager Davey Johnson at second base as the organization tries toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?