Mar 12, 2012, 8:41 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Anthony Rendon made a nice impression in his first big-league camp.
The Nationals trimmed nine players off their spring training roster following today's game, including 2011 draft picks Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
Rendon and Purke were optioned to high-Class A Potomac, with infielder Carlos Rivero optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Outfielders Corey Brown and Xavier Paul, infielder Jarrett Hoffpauir, catcher Sandy Leon and right-handers Rafael Martin and Austin Bibens-Dirkx all were reassigned to minor-league camp.
None of the moves were surprises, though Rendon and Purke made nice impressions during their brief stints in big-league camp only nine months after each was drafted out of college.
Rendon, the sixth overall pick in the draft, went 3-for-13 with three doubles and an RBI in eight Grapefruit League games. The former Rice third baseman also saw game action at shortstop and worked with manager Davey Johnson at second base as the organization tries toRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon