Mar 12, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Anthony Rendon made a nice impression in his first big-league camp.
The Nationals trimmed nine players off their spring training roster following today's game, including 2011 draft picks Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke.
Rendon and Purke were optioned to high-Class A Potomac, with infielder Carlos Rivero optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Outfielders Corey Brown and Xavier Paul, infielder Jarrett Hoffpauir, catcher Sandy Leon and right-handers Rafael Martin and Austin Bibens-Dirkx all were reassigned to minor-league camp.
None of the moves were surprises, though Rendon and Purke made nice impressions during their brief stints in big-league camp only nine months after each was drafted out of college.
Rendon, the sixth overall pick in the draft, went 3-for-13 with three doubles and an RBI in eight Grapefruit League games. The former Rice third baseman also saw game action at shortstop and worked with manager Davey Johnson at second base as the organization tries toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?