Nats vs. Tigers – 3/13/12

Mar 13, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
The Nationals host the Tigers tonight at Space Coast Stadium.

More and more good news on the injury front from Viera: Michael Morse emerged from his first game back from a lat strain feeling strong, so he's in the lineup again tonight serving as DH. And Bryce Harper's calf strain has improved enough to convince manager Davey Johnson to put the 19-year-old back in right field tomorrow night against the Braves.

In the meantime, plenty of regulars in the lineup tonight against Detroit, including Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Ryan Zimmerman (who is absolutely raking at the plate right now), Morse, Jayson Werth and Wilson Ramos. Edwin Jackson becomes the first member of the rotation to make his third start.

And the best news of the day: This game is on TV. So sit back and enjoy some Grapefruit League action this evening, and enjoy the ongoing conversation here…

DETROIT TIGERS vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 6:05 p.m.
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (delayed at 1 a.m.)
Radio: None
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 11 LF to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
NATIONALS
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
DH Michael Morse

1. Bozo - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I wonder if Strieby has a chance to start at first base for the Tigers.

2. Feel Wood - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

According to their web page, MASN is showing this game live at 6 pm and rebroadcasting it at 9 pm.

3. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

A note on the pitching line up for the Nats for the next week. Steve M is correct in that a shuffling of the rotation needs to happen at some point.First there is a scheduled off day next Tuesday and a split squad day scheduled for 29th. Those two dates plus the desire to see a guy or two scheduled to be starters in the minors throw for the big club will give Davey ample opportunity to adjust the rotation.

4. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

If Strieby can show a little hustle, he may have a chance. The starter they have now is purely station-to-station.

5. SCNatsFan - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Now all I have to do is stay up til 1 AM

6. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

SCNatsFan, I bet you can pick up a used VCR pretty cheap nowadays. ; )

7. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Woohoo! Baseball on tv!!

8. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Wow.. this is really the Tigers B squad. I am just glad we actually get to see this one! Woo Hoo!

9. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I must have this Bobblehead. Hoping for the Eyeblack.

10. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Starting a new campain:FEED Det the Strasburger!

11. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

campaign… not campain.. where is the auto correct when I need it.

12. sjm308 - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

FeelWood:Not sure this is 100% accurate but I ran into a MASN employee at the gym who swears they try to keep everything exactly 50/50 between Nationals & O's. I did look at the ST schedule and there are the same number of games for each team broadcast. I am wondering if this group has specific examples of what MASN does. I watch Comcast because of the great job Kelli Johnson does with our boys so I could not give examples but I did let him know that the blog I read is continually harping on the unfair coverage biased toward Baltimore. Like I said earlier, he claims that in their production meetings they work very hard to make sure things are equal.

13. Feel Wood - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

14. Rabbit - Mar 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Gotta get people on base for Zimm!!!!

15. Steve M. - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

MicheleS said… Starting a new campain:FEED Det the Strasburger! March 13, 2012 3:08 PM Yes, please, many of them! In all seriousness, its not necessarily eating much more, it is building muscle mass through leg presses and squats like we discussed in Stammen's glutes and upper thighs.I am probably so disenchanted with Detwiler because he is one of those guys that has been with the organization about 5 years and still hasn't come in to camp in the "best shape of his life" and I say that with all due respect using my 20/20 vision.Stammen, JZim, Lannan, and Stras all added posterior girth. Its the Billy Wagner principle that you don't have to be a big guy as your strength and last bit of endurance actually comes from your lower body or else you tend to overthrow with your arm causing arm fatigue.Detwiler will never last the rigors of 180 inning season until he builds body mass.To Tcostant, there's no way the Nats release Lannan. Way too valuable and you are so wrong. There are 5 or 6 teams that desperately need LH starting pitching but I'm not even sure they trade Lannan unless they get good value back.

16. NatsLady - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I live in a tiny apartment and I WANT THAT GARDEN GNOME! Not sure what Silver Kitty will think of it, though.

17. Tcostant - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Steve M – I think your right, I think he'll be traded for the best offer. But the Nats in my option with not pick up any of his 2012 salary; so a deal will only happen if the Nats don't have to pay. If the only deals they fine are ones where they need to pay a peice of his salary; than I do think they would release him. I think it's a 5% chance.

18. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Tconstant, I don't understand that logic. Why don't you think they'd pick up any of his salary in the right deal, or hang on to him in the alternative? It's not like they don't have the budget this year.

19. JayB - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM

It is likely too much to ask for…….but will FP and Bob talk about the huge whole that IAN D creates in this roster. LEAD OFF, CF, BENCH BATSThis team is one or two moves short of challenging for the post season. All of season many of you said just wait till Feb. then March….well it will be next year soon….Past time really and Rizzo has failed again to pull the trigger on the moves he himself pointed out back tin Oct. 2011 that were key to this club making the next step.

20. A DC Wonk - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

My guess is that the Nats keep LannEn because they want six starters. Remember, Strass will get shut down in Sept. And you never know about an injury. So, keeping LannEn and Detw makes sense to me.

21. Cwj - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Though it wont happen, I would much rather the Nats release Gorzelanny or Wang than Lannan.It's really bizarre having 4 (including Detwiler) number 5 starting pitchers on the team. The whole situation is strange to me.I wish they weren't stuck with Wang. The only reason they signed him a couple years ago was because the pitching at that time was awful.That's no longer the case.Just a few of my thoughts :-)

22. Cwj - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I don't understand why so many people think the Nats need a CF. What would you do with Morse, Harper and Werth?The only time it would make sense is if LaRoche is gone and Morse moves back to first.

23. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Wait, he's your brother? I figured *you* were Phil Wood. :-)Feel Wood said… sjm308, why are you addressing your MASN complaints to me? I merely reported that they showed the broadcast times on their web page. As for equality between Nationals and Orioles programming, I wouldn't know since I only watch MASN for games, not for their other stuff. But their staffing level for games is certainly not equal between O's and Nats. Nats broadcast team has only Bob and FP. O's broadcast team has Gary Thorne, Jim Palmer, Jim Hunter, the late Mike Flanagan until he died, and Amber Theoharis (presumably, since she still works at MASN and Debbi Taylor doesn't any more). For Nats Xtra there is Johnny, Ray, my brother Phil on occasion and Byron Kerr on occasion. O's Xtra has Tom Davis/Jim Hunter, Rick Dempsey, Dave Johnson, Roch Kubatko and Amber Theoharis, all pretty regularly. Clear advantage to the Orioles in numbers, and that's not even getting into the quality of the individual "personalities", which is also advantage Orioles, IMHO. March 13, 2012 3:33 PM

24. jd - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The reason to flip Lannan is that most teams don't pay $5 mil for a 5th or 6th starter. If you feel that a pitcher won't be trusted with a post season start (The Nats won't trust Lannan with a post season start) then it's reasonable to use someone less expensive for that role.

25. JayB - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Morse should be back at first, Harper in LF and Werth in RF with a true MLB center fielder out there…Danny as SS and Mark D at 2nd Base…that is a team that will win in May once trades are made and Harper's FA is delayed by a month in Minor Leagues…Adam L…….does anyone really believe he is health and able to play a full season? Not me.

26. jd - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

JayB, newsflash; the Nats don't need anything to contend for a post season. You don't need 8 all stars to compete (Ask the Cards or the Giants). The last piece missing is Bryce Harper. When Harper is ready this is as good a team as any in the division.

27. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

1a, there's also their sister, Feral Wood. I hear she's pretty wild, and they don't talk about her much.

28. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Fifth starters almost never get used in a post-season anyway. The whole point to having three top guys is that you get to re-use them.

29. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Not to mention, getting to the post-season in the first place is why you have as much pitching as you can get your hands on. The fifth starter won't get 30 starts, most likely, but those starts he does get all count. If CMW turns out to be the best 5th starter in the league this season, that's pretty impressive, and he's a bargain.

30. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Sofa said:Fifth starters almost never get used in a post-season anyway. Jane says:So we will be using JZimm, Gio and EJax in October, because Stras will be shut down for the season. He will play the FOLLOWING October.Can't wait for the BASEBALL ON TV! Woohoo!GYFNG!

31. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

JaneB, now you're cookin.

32. Cwj - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I think Fukodome would have been a good signing this past winter.And he could have been had for 1 million $.He's not an elite outfielder, but he's better than a bench guy, gets on base and could have been very valuable for the Nats if Harper starts in AAA or LaRoche is injured and Morse moves to 1B.Oh well, that didn't happen.

33. FS - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Dirks is the name that has been thrown around by Tigers' fans as possible return for Lannan. Fellow insiders let us know how he is.If you didn't know already, Bixler hit a walk-off 3 run home run against Phillies.

34. Steady Eddie - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM

JayB, if you want DeRosa at second, you're not paying enough attention to ST. He dropped a totally routine DP ball (but got the runner at first so it didn't count as an error) that would have gotten Wang out, unscathed, of what ended up being a 2 run inning for the Mets last Saturday. Sure, it was just one play in ST and everyone makes errors sometimes. But he just didn't convey the comfort level at second that either Espi or Lombo have. And given the youth of our pitching staff and the psychological edge a solid defense will give a pitcher, the Nats should NOT regard DeRosa as a regular starter anywhere if they want to contend. He's fine as a general backup and one of Davey's hairy-chested bats off the bench.

35. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Rizzo's off-season roster management for the rotation: big win!; for the pen: win!; for the bench: should be a win; but for the lineup: epic fail!Leadoff and the two hole are looking to be woeful. Desmond's got no chance to improve his OBP by even 10% and Espi can't hit lefty at this point. Both guys are K machines.David DeJeuss or Fukudome could have been had. Trade might have pulled Andres Torres. Freaking Juan Pierre — they could have had that guy with any major league contract (as he took non guaranteed money from the Philles). They went after Cameron and Ankiel — two guys hoping to hit 20 bombs and bat maybe .250 with a ton of Ks – nothing close to a top of the order guy.Right now the Nats have no one to lead off and the 2 hole looks lousy too. Zim's gonna hit 30 HR's and bat .320 and knock in maybe 80 RBI as we miss the playoffs because we've got 2 guys who are likely to make more than their share of non-productive outs at 1 and 2. Maybe Lannan gets moved for a MLB-ready guy who can bat at the top AND who fits the current roster for playing time, but that is going to be a tough get for Rizzo. Lombo might be ready to play a lot, who knows, and maybe they can platoon Bernadina and DeRosa at 2 and bat Espi lower where his power is a plus and his OBP less of a negative as he plays SS; but that calls for Lombo being at least solidly better than Desi, for the Shark to hit well against RH and for DeRosa to have his swing back strong and healthy – none is a given. I think that Rizzo's gotta make a move for someone who can bat 1 or 2 as the current options are not MLB caliber much less playoff caliber guys. This club is too good to have holes this big without management at least trying to fill the gaps with guys who have a more realistic chance to help the club win in the roles.

36. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Nice rant, Anon! (and I liked Juan Pierre too, but what can you do)Best 25 go North!!dfh21

37. bdrube - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Why on earth would you want a 37-year-old coming off of two injured seasons as your second baseman? Better to have Lombo there even if he hits .180. We've got a young pitching staff and an organizational philosophy that wants them inducing as many ground balls as possible. Infield defense is absolutely critical.

38. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Prepping for the game: Sushi, Glass of wine, and RZ Green Shersey (we are close to St Pats Day). Getting in the best shape of my life (for sitting and watching games). Remember it's a Marathon, Not a Sprint and you must pace yourself!B25GN! GYFNG!

39. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I want to go down to Spring Training and hang out with those people that were tailgaiting.Look 1A.. the OWL

40. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I am thinking DeRosa gets most of his PT in RF until Harper gets his shot and that he'll find his way in at 1B against tough lefties too. I'd love to see Lombo play 2B and have them shift Espi to SS, but the club STILL somehow, amazingly, defying all logic, believes in Desmond. I beleive that Ian should go north with the team from Viera and keep going north until he gets to Cuse — he's just not ready for prime time and he's not getting better.Ian is the weakest link and they should vote him off the island or not hand him a red rose he should get slimed or whatever it takes to not have him on my TV when I watch Nats games all summer long pulling for the club to make the playoffs.

41. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Heyman has a quote on Harper Kid seems realistic about his chances

42. Sunderland - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Jason Michaels, ouch.

43. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Of course, one of the few televised games, and we still can't see LaRoche, we just have to take their word that he's back.

44. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Ian's going to here about that, but at least he got a hit

45. Grandstander - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Replay! That was a dinger.

46. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Anon 6:15. looks like LaRoche will be at the Game tomorrow night on MLB Network

47. Steady Eddie - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM

And just as we all (not without reason) dump on Desi, he leads off with a double. Guess we can all pray Davey can get him his late-season swing back?

48. Cwj - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Desmond thought he had a homer, so he doesn't hustle down to second and barely gets there with a double.Come on Desi, you're not good enough to assume you hit a home run.

49. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Steady Eddie, FP mentioned that he changed his stance again in the last few days.. I think he got the message from Davey.

50. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM

XD The Nats need a rally squirrel.

51. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I know,I know.. I am a total softy, I love hearing Carp and FP

52. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM

James Carville sitting behind Rizzo by the Nats dugout. Maybe they'll invite him up to the booth for some commentary.

53. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Fun celebrity sighting, NatsJack! There will be a lot more of that now. Unkyd, you catching how even when our guy hits a lead-off double, he gets no love here? Man.And it's even warm here, as in NOT Florida! Ah, BASEBALL.

54. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

That was a sweet DP by RZ.. I think the throwing problems are fixed.

55. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Sorry I'm late, but was trying to make and eat dinner along with watching the game. I can multitask okay, but adding in commenting would have been a stretch. The owl looks to be in midseason form. Michaels, not so much.

56. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Did Danny just hit a car with a foul ball?

57. Dave - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

GrandstanderI just got around to rewinding and looking again, and I think you are right. That sure looked like a homerun for Desi to me (that must have rolled back under the front fence). Did anyone else get a better view?

58. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It looked like it to me as well, Dave and GS.

59. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I thought the same thing about the hit car, Anon at 6:57.c'mon Buffalo! Bring these guys home!

60. LoveDaNats - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I'm at the game. The hit car is a sound effect when the foul leaves the stadium.

61. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Oh ok, thanks, LoveDaNats. That was confusing me.

62. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Okay, I have to comment, Dad with 2 kids over the 3B dugout. Dad has Cardinals shirt on, Baby with WV hat, Small child has Rays shirt and a Phillies hat. And Dad is drinking a bud. That is one messed up family

63. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Thanks LoveDa. PS I'm jealous.

64. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

LOL, I was noticing that, too, MicheleS. What's up with that?

65. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Maybe they borrowed the sound effect from the P-Nats.

66. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Got Wilk?

67. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

MichelleS, My daughter once did a school project on families and society They talked about what make a mixed marriage and how hard it can be. Her contribution: a marriage between an AL person and a NL person. Hard. Or — and this was her "I couldn't do this" point — a Baseball Person and Not a Baseball Person.And she was serious. Whatever else we did wrong with these kids, we got THAT right. By the by, her boyfriend is becoming A Baseball Person.

68. Sunderland - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

MicheleS – I am so with you on that one. A Bud? Shame.

69. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Well, It's not like he can take the kids to LF for the Tiki bar/World Of Beer to get a better one. And oddly, No Wife around to help out. She must not be a baseball person.. JaneB.. raising the kids right…Good to see the daughter is making a convert.. I am working on Nephew II and seeing if I can make him a Baseball fan (bribes/food) since Nephew I can't seem to stay of Double Secret Probation.

70. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Who is the guy next to Pat Corrales?

71. Steady Eddie - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

To add yo LoveDaNats report — there are no cars parked anywhere near Space Coast Stadium.Totally unlike Hagerstown.

72. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Trent Jewett?Mom either went on a beer run or to the team store to get Nats gear for the collection.

73. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Jane, you mean on his left, with the shades on the back of his head?

74. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

1A.. It's going to take more than Mom Spit to clean Drew Up.. he is definitely going for the "Wild Thing" Closer look

75. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM

That was funny–Carp tried to get Storen to call a home run on a deep fly, and Drew just said, "But that's not out." while it was nearing the top of its arc, on the way to the warning track.

76. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Nieces/nephew not much into baseball. But I'm working on my sisters. Was interesting watching televised Giants playoff games with my two sisters and younger brother when we were all gathered during my older brother's final illness. Young brother follows AL baseball, baby sister sorta follows baseball, and other sister not so much. Brian Wilson on deck with two outs and men on. There's a bit of feinting re. pinch-hitting for him. Brother and I are saying it's all for show. Sure enough, Wilson gets the at-bat so he can continue pitching next inning. But he swings and grounds out to end the inning. My baby sis: why didn't he just bunt? My brother and I explained about the two outs and all. My other sis: wow, they have some good-looking young men on this team. I like the tight uni pants. (Hey, we take the interest however we can get it.)

77. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Instead of Tim Kurkjian impressions (BBTN), we now have Carp impressions from Drew

78. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM

MicheleS, our little boy is growing up. Or not. :-)btw, good one on the owl-squirrel comment, mystery fan correspondent.

79. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Alright, anyone for Storen calling the game from the bullpen, instead of FP?

80. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

That was funny, and Bob was working very hard to be a good sport about it. To his credit, he just did manage it, but I think Drew was a little worried he'd overdone it.

81. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Anon 7:42..Nope we keep FP..(drew from the BP would be a great sideline reporter)

82. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM

We need a name for the Rally Owl.

83. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Sec 2.. HOOT!

84. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Drew's Bob C. sounded more like Harry Caray with a cold to me.

85. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Sec 3.. Not Sec 2… UGH

86. Anonymous - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well, that was… embarrassing.

87. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

That's just what I was thinking, MicheleS! Hoot.I vote for keeping FP, too.

88. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Ummmm. Not Hoot, please.

89. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Det's too SMALL.. his pants are hanging off him!.. EAT! (or at least work out)

90. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Hedwig???

91. LoveDaNats - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Anyone want me to tape shut "ice cold beer" man while I'm here?

92. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Aw, no. I like the beer guy.

93. JaneB - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Trent Jewett — Yes. Thanks! I hope Drew doesn't feel bad. It was kind of funny. ish. What was the deal with the play Zimm made at second? That was the play — the guy was farthest from the plate. What am I missing I know it must be basic because everyone was so shocked.

94. MicheleS - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Love Da.. send a beer over to the Dad behind 3B or send one to James Carville.

95. natsfan1a - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Archimedes, then.

96. Don - Mar 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM

There's the Detwiler we know and love. I know ST is for working out the kinks, I just hope we don't really regret a Lannan trade if it happens.

97. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hail to the beer man!Hedwig? Hmmm. I can kinda see it, but it makes me think of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," which may not be the mythology we're going for, there.I was figuring "Who" is too obvious, but there's a baseball tie-in, at least. "I Don't Know" might work, but maybe that's just my counter-snarky Post-Modernism. OH, wait, I KNOW: Prince.

98. HAL jr - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Archimedes, maybe he can work some magic!

99. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM

What was the deal with the play Zimm made at second? That was the play — the guy was farthest from the plate. What am I missing I know it must be basic because everyone was so shocked.JaneB: 1. That play's physically very, very hard to accomplish if you're planning on it, nevermind ad libbing, for an athlete, nevermind a normal person. andB. the field awareness to be able to know, running toward home and therefore not facing second, that he had a play, is high-level stuff.Then there's that throw. Did he get lucky, or did he purposely throw that big hook out to second? That ball started out heading nowhere NEAR second.

100. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM

FOF sighting!

101. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

First-pitch Fastball, meet Mr. Werth.

102. Anonymous - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Jayson!

103. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Zim is discussing it, that's a set play for them. Cool.

104. Anonymous - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM

How about Nike, for victory?

105. Anonymous - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM

(for the name of the owl, that is)

106. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Not bad, but they'd sue your tailfeathers off.

107. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Now, if they could get an actual bald eagle to nest up there…

108. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Nike.. maybe we can get him sponsored!

109. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Of course, they might be able to get a bald eagle nest at Nats Park. That would be cool.

110. Anonymous - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Of course, Screech would then be insanely jealous.

111. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM

How about "Thurston"? Thurston Owl III?

112. Anonymous - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Orion?

113. MIcheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM

That was a nasty slider

114. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Anyone getting the feeling that they are piling on the former manager

115. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Oh! Ryan?

116. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I hadn't noticed that, Michele.

117. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Awwww…Look they are showing dad…

118. Anonymous - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Now where is that Rally Owl when we need it…

119. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Trent Jewitt is the 1B Coach..

120. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM

121. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

trying again:OK, actually, there IS something a baserunner on third can do on a popup the third baseman drops in short left with the bases loaded and no outs. There was no one covering third (pitcher is backing up home there), so he did not have to be near the bag, and that might have made the difference there.

122. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

IT MAKES ME INSANELY HAPPY WHEN CLIP IS ON THE MOUND. I'm just saying. Or shouting.

123. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Husband wanted to watch something else but I did see the Werth dinger. (Clicked back while he was upstairs, hehe.)On the owl, I liked Archimedes for the magic but Nike could work for the victory.

124. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:41 AM

My husband wanted to watch something else, too.Which is why he is in the basement.

125. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Yay for Clip on the mound!

126. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Thank you, Sofa, for the explanation. And for the Owl name I like most: Who.

127. Unkyd - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Checking in… Little plumbing issue…under control…You clowns are freaking hilarious!!! Everything except "Thurston", that is… Somebody needs to put that one out of our misery… SeeYa!!

128. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM

We're both in the basement. Just one tv. So lame and 20th century, I know. But it's still tuned to the Nats for the moment. :-)

129. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I thought Thurston was funny, but then I would. :-)

130. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Good luck with the plumbing issue, Unk.

131. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM

LOL, Unkyd. and ummm, TMI, I think.Can someone explain the Archimedes = magic connection? Is that a Harry Potter reference?

132. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM

There were so many ways that run didn't have to happen!

133. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Did someone say this Dirks guy is available?

134. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Merlin, I don't do Harry Potter.

135. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Yeah, I think they might have a pill for that, Unk. Oh, no, I didn't.

136. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Sending good vibes to your, ummm, plumbing, Unkyd.One of my favorite baseball things: when the pitcher is moving off the mound before the ump calls it. Or before the catch happens. Livan was the king of that. But Clip has it down, too.

137. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Sec 3.. Hedwig was the Harry Potter reference…not sure about Archimedes – Math guy?TV's: Birthday Present was a 55 inch HDTV.. Got to say I love MASN HD.

138. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Wait a minute…what the heck was I thinking? The owl's name is Jake. How could you let me miss that, 1a??

139. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Where will we all be watching the Nats beat the Cubs on April 5? I want a plan. I even volunteer my house in MD but it is out near Olney. I want A Plan.

140. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I know the historical figure Archimedes. Bathtub guy. Maybe the best engineer who ever lived. But that's pretty much the opposite of magic.

141. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Jane, I think we've settled (some of us, anyhow) on Duffy's.Chad Tracy's at bat music is Low Rider, from War. I like this guy already.

142. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Umm.. why Jake?Also, Jane, there is a Nats Watching Party at Duffy's? Sec 3, correct me if I am wrong.Sadly, I will be working that day, but Cough Cough, Sniffle, I will be doing the work at home in front of the TV.

143. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Eureka and all that. April 5 is Duffy's.

144. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Let's try that link again:Duffy's in DC, near the 930 Club, on the Green Line.

145. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Got it! Thanks! Duffy's it is. MichelleS, I am sorry in advance for your illness.

146. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I am rooting for Blanco.

147. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM

He is this year's Brian Bixler, for me.ANd I love the no capcha, I have to say.

148. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Ah, Jake, as in Elroy (the rally possum)'s brother?Also, I think we may be even on the cokes now.

149. Cwj - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Sec 3- Good point you made at 8:40.I was scouring my mind for something the runner at 3rd could have done, and as usual came up with nothing :-)On the other hand, you definitely don't want to turn 1 out into 2 (if the ball had been caught and the runner was doubled off of 3rd.)Best to err on the side of caution, I think.

150. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I kinda like DeRosa. I really have to stop falling in love with the utility players, though. :-)

151. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I am totally a utility guy person. It's why I love Jamey Carroll so much…I know you, too, are partial to him.

152. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Michele et al., re: Jake.Long long ago, in a blog somewhere else, when the Nats were classically bad, several of us decided we needed a rally animal. Monkeys were already taken, and given the state of the franchise at the time, we figured it should be an "anti-monkey" animal. Possums are native to this area up here, and they play dead, which the Nats offense did frequently. So, enter Elwood, the Rally Possum. The idea was that the fans would have to cheer loud enough to "WAKE UP, ELWOOD!!!" to wake up the Nats' offense. Elwood was partly in honor of Elwood Blues, the John Belushi character in Blues Brothers, and thus the owl would be Jake, for Jake Blues, the Dan Akroyd role. But since Elwood, being a mascot like Screech, was well over six feet tall, but no one ever saw him, we later realized he was also a pooka, like Harvey, the rabbit in the Jimmy Stewart movie of the same name. We had a LOT of time on our hands in those days.

153. Cwj - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

A couple thoughts on team broadcasters.I really like Bob and FP.I've been watching a bunch of other teams play on MLB network, and some of them are absolutely horrible.

154. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Elwood, dang. I hate when people get the names wrong.

155. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Thank you for the history lesson, Sofa. It cracked me up. I was missing so much, back in those days when my stomach was turning in the seventh inning EVERY NIGHT with only my husband to share my pain.

156. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Definitely partial to Jamey.

157. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Cwj, thanks. The point was that NO ONE was covering third, so he could not possibly be doubled off. He should be as far from third as the closest defender, more or less, and on that play, no one was close.

158. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Also, Elwood was on a mission from G*d.

159. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Worst. Commercial. Ever.

160. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Jake's Theme music could be "Soul Man" .. Because the Nats "Are on a mission from God". Who would be the Penguin? Mark Lerner?

161. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

1A.. I owe you a coke :-)

162. NatsNut - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Sofa, wait, didn't Svrluga spot the possum in the press box?

163. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM

The Penguin would be Scott Boras. Or Mike Rizzo.

164. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I think it may have cancelled out one I owed you, Michele. :-)

165. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

We are running out of time. It may be ST, but I still want to win.

166. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Good call, NatsNut! Yes, that was in the Days of the Blogfather. There was a possum in the press box, sort like the racoon in the stands.

167. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM

There was a raccoon in the press box, wasn't there? And a crane on the field?

168. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Sec3.. Rizzo definitely the penguin. Boras would be the property tax guy trying to foreclose the Penguin.

169. JaneB - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

G'nite Imaginary Friends. Thanks for the fun. And the history lessons.I hope no one gets cut tonight.

170. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Just a comment for Mark Z..Did the 200 post thing ever get fixed, because it's spring training and we are already in mid season form (over 170 + posts)

171. gonatsgo - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Just got home and was about to be bummed at missing the whole game and — they are replaying it!!!! I take back every mean thing I ever said about masn – well, maybe not everything.

172. MicheleS - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Good Night Gracie!

173. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:22 AM

gonatsgo, wait'll you see the big comeback at the end!!That was mean, wasn't it?

174. Cwj - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Jane- Not me, so much.I have a hard time getting my brain to care about ST scores and W-L. And I've definitely tried! :-)Had this been an actual game, I would be pretty frustrated right now.

175. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Eh, we'll get 'em tomorrow.Just watched the start again and saw an owlet in the nest, awww…

176. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

We'll try to pace ourselves on the comments, it being a marathon and all.

177. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM

You gotta post 'em one game at a time, 1a.

178. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Elwood was back in 2008, or thereabouts. I think he was given his unconditional release after the season, and was last seen leaving rehab. Sad story.

179. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Just replayed Desmond's double, and it did hit a few feet below the top, good call. Crushed, though.

180. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I think Elwood tried to make a comeback in 2010. Got a ST invite and showed up in the best shape of his life. Turned out he just didn't have it anymore. Sad, really.

181. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM

In other news, evidently the raccoon or its relatives are back.

182. Gardner - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Just caught the game – that gun they have working at Space Coast has got to be 4-6 mph slow.

183. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:23 AM

They mentioned it was slow during the Strasburg start that was televised a while back.

184. Gonat - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Reporting that Michael Morse was scratched already from tomorrow's lineup. Anyone hear any reasons why?

185. gonatsgo - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Sec 3 – that's just low. I did check the box score and it might just be worth staying up to see Jayson Werth hit a home run. I already noted that RZ is in mid-season form.I hope he hits a bucket of balls right out of Citizen's Bank Park. Oh , and maybe out of that LasVegas brothel-looking stadium in Miami, too.

186. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM

actually, gonatsgo, there was still some nice D and a good inning from Lidge worth watching. Clippard was a little uneven.

187. gonatsgo - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Got the DVR going – just didn't want to wait to see some live baseball. I don't think I have seen Lidge play in a Nats uni yet.