Mar 15, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Outfielder Eury Perez was among the players cut from big-league camp today.
The Nationals trimmed their spring training roster by four following today's loss to the Yankees, optioning right-hander Yunesky Maya to Class AAA Syracuse and outfielder Eury Perez to Class AA Harrisburg while re-assigning pitchers Jeff Fulchino and Waldis Joaquin to minor-league camp.
Maya made two relief appearances this spring, giving up one run over two innings in each outing. The 31-year-old right-hander, touted as a significant international signing two years ago when the Nationals gave the Cuban a four-year, $8 million contract, has plummeted down the organizational depth chart and will likely pitch out of the back end of Syracuse's rotation to open the season.
Perez, 21, impressed during his first stint in big-league camp, going 6-for-18 with four runs scored in eight Grapefruit League games. One of three center field prospects (along with Michael Taylor and Brian Goodwin) the Nationals are keeping an eye on, Perez will open the season as Harrisburg's starter.
Fulchino and Joaquin were in camp on minor-league contracts and stood little chance of making the Opening Day roster, though Fulchino pitchedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter