Mar 15, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Outfielder Eury Perez was among the players cut from big-league camp today.
The Nationals trimmed their spring training roster by four following today's loss to the Yankees, optioning right-hander Yunesky Maya to Class AAA Syracuse and outfielder Eury Perez to Class AA Harrisburg while re-assigning pitchers Jeff Fulchino and Waldis Joaquin to minor-league camp.
Maya made two relief appearances this spring, giving up one run over two innings in each outing. The 31-year-old right-hander, touted as a significant international signing two years ago when the Nationals gave the Cuban a four-year, $8 million contract, has plummeted down the organizational depth chart and will likely pitch out of the back end of Syracuse's rotation to open the season.
Perez, 21, impressed during his first stint in big-league camp, going 6-for-18 with four runs scored in eight Grapefruit League games. One of three center field prospects (along with Michael Taylor and Brian Goodwin) the Nationals are keeping an eye on, Perez will open the season as Harrisburg's starter.
Fulchino and Joaquin were in camp on minor-league contracts and stood little chance of making the Opening Day roster, though Fulchino pitchedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Espinosa solid as Nats' temporary third baseman
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale