Spring training special – 6:30 p.m. tonight

Mar 15, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Stephen Strasburg on being the ace of the staff. Bryce Harper on trying to make the roster at 19. Ryan Zimmerman on earning a nine-figure contract extension. Davey Johnson on making the playoffs … or being fired.

That’s just a taste of what you’ll see and hear during CSN’s “SportsNet Central: Spring Training Special.” It’s an in-depth, 30-minute show, covering every angle of the Nationals as they prepare for the upcoming season. Hosted by Kelli Johnson — and featuring a couple of cameo appearances by yours truly — the show takes you inside spring training in Viera like you won’t find anywhere else.

So make plans to tune into CSN at 6:30 p.m. tonight for the special’s debut. And if you happen to miss it, there will be several re-airings before Opening Day. Check your local listings, as they say.

And, just to whet your appetite, click on the above video for a preview of the show.

1. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Yay! Setting the DVR now.

2. ehay2k - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

What she said!

3. MicheleS - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Ditto!

4. Nats1924 - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

im definitely watching! Good stuff!

5. Big Cat - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Can't say I saw a lot of last nights game, what was kinda concerned with Stra's velocity. 91-93 is what I saw. Hopefully, they were using a "slow" gun. But the Braves didn't seem to have much trouble squaring him up.For what its worth……I say keep Lannan. You know what you have in him, a solid big league starting pitcher. Sexy flamethrower? No. But a guy who goes out every 5th day and normally gets you to the 6th

6. Theophilus - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM

When I was watching in the 4th, Strasburg was hitting 95 and 96. Post-game he said he was "over-throwing," not pitching — which was obvious in the time I was watching.Read Kilgore's piece re Harper this a.m. I was — still am — skeptical re his maturity but feel better after he stopped twerping. But his most recent comments make me think, just maybe, the Nats have got themselves the Gen-Y version of Ernie Banks: "It's a great day for baseball, let's play two!"

7. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I don't think Ernie ever bragged about knocking people into left field, but Harper does seem enthusiastic, doesn't he?

8. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM

“He’s the type of hitter that, he’s going to be geared up for a fastball,” Strasburg said. “And my stubborn self, I wanted to blow it by him.”AKA "Announce his presence with authority."Flores: Hey, he hit the bull! He wins a steak!Strasburg: It's like he knew I was going to throw a fastball…Flores: He did know.

9. Theophilus - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM

What baseball needs is stars who can't contain their enthusiasm for the game, who are obvious about playing the game because they love baseball, and only incidentally for the money and/or notoriety. That's one thing that annoys me about the twits. But Harper can express himself both off the field and on the field with his hustle.

10. MicheleS - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Sec3.. I could see Pudge doing that to Stras, Somehow JFlo doesn't seem like that type, I could be wrong though!

11. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

But Harper can express himself both off the field and on the field with his hustle.If there's one true thing said in here today, that's it. The kid busts it out there. Welcome to the next couple of decades of enjoying that.Loved seeing Chipper's "been there, long ago" take on that. Pretty clear he sees a bright future, and likes the idea. He would know, if anyone would.(Gotta say, I don't agree about the Twitter stuff, I thought he was well within the lines, and enjoy the accessibility, but there's no arguing about taste.)

12. MicheleS - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Well, is seems Prince Oppo Boppo has a potty mount Just remember, he is only 19 and the tweets didn't bother me.

13. MIcheleS - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM

potty mouth not mount! Geesh. I need coffee

14. Anonymous - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Just three things to do for the Nats to contend: Trade. Ian. Desmond.

15. Feel Wood - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Well, is seems Prince Oppo Boppo has a potty mountWhy is this a problem? Most 19 year old guys, indeed most men in general, just plop down when they need to go. If Harper has a choreographed routine for this, that would be a sign of maturity and sophistication, wouldn't it?

16. Big Cat - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Ok….good Theo. 95-96 makes me feel better.So now Nats Jack is on TV….jeez…he has almost turned this blog into a political platform. Next he'll be coaching first, stealing signs and relaying them to the hitter

17. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I understand the Mongols of Ghengis Khan did *everything* on horseback, so this would be another example of what a throwback toughguy Bryce really is.

18. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Next he'll be coaching first, stealing signs and relaying them to the hitter We know he isn't coaching first already. As for the other two, however…

19. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Well, is seems Prince Oppo Boppo has a potty mountOf course, somebody is going to complain that he's doing it wrong, he's too crude and outspoken, he should use some euphemism like "Water Polo Pony" instead.

20. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I saw 98 and 99 when I was watching early in the game.

21. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

(You didn't hear this from me, but cracking and eating one peanut = breaking ball.)

22. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Agreed (assuming this is in re. the Sheinin piece featuring Jones' take).Loved seeing Chipper's "been there, long ago" take on that.

23. MicheleS - Mar 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Feel Wood.. I actually like the potty mouth (Lord knows I could make a sailor blush – just ask my boss when he makes me mad). It just confirms he has an edge about him. Which is why I made the comment about He is 19 and that I liked him on twitter.

24. Section 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Michele, yes, and it's in GQ, which tends metro, but still likes to think of itself as written for tough guys.1a, actually I was thinking of the interview during the game yesterday, and Chipper's expressions.

25. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM

sec3, thanks. If you've not seen it, the Sheinin piece is worth a read, imo. Jones talks about his route to the bigs back in the day, and how things have changed.

26. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM

And lol at the avatar, after viewing and magnifying a tad bit.

27. Scooter - Mar 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

There's no possibility you have a link to the piece in question, is there, 1a?