Mar 15, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang was enjoying a strong start before suffering his injury.
Right-hander Chien-Ming Wang was forced out of today's Grapefruit League game in Viera after an awkward stumble and fall trying to beat Yankees batter Russell Martin to first base on a third-inning grounder.
The Nationals announced Wang's injury as a left hamstring strain but did not immediately say how much time, if any, the veteran pitcher might miss.
Wang hurt himself after fielding a slow roller to the right of the mound off Martin's bat. With first baseman Chad Tracy also attempting to make the play, Wang was forced to run himself to the bag and try to beat Martin there. But the pitcher tripped as he approached the base and suffered a nasty spill (though he did manage to touch the bag with his hand and retire Martin).
Though he did appear to be smiling as he sat on the ground, Wang leftRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss