Mar 16, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Chien-Ming Wang tumbles after racing to beat the Yankees' Russell Martin to first base.
The Nationals expect to receive a full diagnosis on Chien-Ming Wang sometime this morning, but team officials are fearing the right-hander suffered a serious hamstring injury when he tripped trying to beat the Yankees' Russell Martin to first base during yesterday's game in Viera.
Wang's injury was initially announced as a left hamstring strain, but the veteran hurler underwent more tests (including an MRI) later, the results of which should be revealed this morning.
Members of the Nationals organization are holding out hope the injury is not serious but are prepared to be told Wang will miss considerable time after hurting himself in freakish fashion.
Wang was cruising along in his second Grapefruit League start of the spring, striking out four of the first 10 batters he faced, when Martin tapped a slow roller between the mound and first base. Wang scooped up the ball and then continued running toward the bag, attempting toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win