Mar 16, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals are at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa this afternoon.
One day after hosting the Yankees (er, a couple of actual Yankees) in Viera, the Nationals return the favor today by making the long trek west to Tampa. Er, I should say a couple of actual Nationals.
Truth be told, Davey Johnson put more major leaguers on the bus this morning than Joe Girardi did yesterday. Ian Desmond and Wilson Ramos technically may be the only guaranteed lineup regulars starting today, but Steve Lombardozzi, Mark DeRosa and Jesus Flores should all make the Opening Day bench. And either Jason Michaels or Brett Carroll has a good chance to make it as well.
Then there's Bryce Harper, who has cooled off considerably since returning from a minor calf injury. The 19-year-old is 0-for-5 with three strikeouts in his first two games back, and he did not look comfortable at the plate yesterday. He'll start in right field today, but his opportunities to crack the Opening Day roster are running out.
Gio Gonzalez takes the hill against CC Sabathia in a matchup of All-Star left-handers. (How cool is it to be able to say that?). Enjoy the game and the conversation as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Steinbrenner Field, Tampa
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from RF
SS Ian Desmond
3B Steve Lombardozzi
1B Mark DeRosa
DH Wilson Ramos
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists