Mar 17, 2012, 4:01 PM EST
US Presswire photo
The Nationals host the Marlins today at Space Coast Stadium.
We're smack dab in the middle of that nebulous period of spring training. It's still too far from Opening Day to make any rash conclusions, but it's just close enough to start wondering about a few things … especially when it comes to nagging injuries.
The Nationals are dealing with several of them right now, highlighted by Michael Morse (lat), Adam LaRoche (ankle) and Rick Ankiel (quad). All are out of the lineup again today, though they were expected to get at-bats in a minor-league game. The Morse injury is particularly curious, because while he's fine swinging a bat, it still hampers his throwing. He's yet to play in left field this spring. Sooner or later, he's got to be able to do that.
As for the biggest injury of camp so far, Chien-Ming Wang is reportedly feeling much better after straining his hamstring on that awkward play Thursday. The club (ie. Davey Johnson) continues to downplay the severity of it, but I still don't see how Wang could be ready to make his first start of the season. Even if the hamstring is healed in the next 2-3 weeks as expected, he'll still need to make at least a couple more spring training or rehab starts before he's ready. Remember, he hasn't even thrown three innings in a game yet. The Nats won't put him out there in a real game until he's established he can go five innings.
Back to today's game, Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound against a Marlins split-squad lineup that will have pitcher Tom Koehler bat even though the Nats are using a DH. Ah, the quirks of spring training. Enjoy the game and the discussion…
MIAMI MARLINS (ss) vs. WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Mostly sunny, 80 degrees, Wind 9 mph LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Mark DeRosa
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal
- Scherzer signing shows Nats' continued growth as a franchise
- History with Rizzo, Williams gives Nats confidence in Scherzer