Mar 18, 2012, 9:18 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper went 8-for-28 with two doubles and zero RBI this spring.
Mike Rizzo said all along he would keep an open mind watching Bryce Harper compete this spring for a spot on the Opening Day roster, but the Nationals general manager knew the 19-year-old was going to have to do something extraordinary to come north with the big-league club.
Though he impressed and occasionally dazzled with his athletic ability, hustle and mature attitude over the last month, in the end Harper wasn't deemed ready for prime time, so the Nationals today optioned their top prospect to Class AAA Syracuse.
Harper was one of four players cut from big-league camp following today's game. First baseman Tyler Moore and catcher Jhonatan Solano also were optioned to Syracuse, with infielder Mark Teahen re-assigned to minor-league camp.
Harper, who has only one season of professional experience and spent only 37 games at Class AA Harrisburg last summer, figured all along to need some more time in the minors. But his demotion today perhapsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September